hidden hit counter
Help!

BigLba problems

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussion RSS
Next:  C:WINNTTEMPWIN477~1.EXE error?????  
Author Message
mike000777
External


Since: Jul 17, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: BigLba problems
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>win2000>general (more info?)

Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
registry change and everything worked fine.

Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
that does. Sad

Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
recognizes as formatted.
At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
under this rock.

So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.
Back to top
John John
External


Since: Jun 05, 2004
Posts: 1937



PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

You don't need to reinstall Windows, you will just end up at the same
place if you do. After you install SP4 and enable big LBA in the
registry just use the Disk Management tool to create a new partition in
the unallocated space then format it.

John

mike000777 wrote:

> Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
> registry change and everything worked fine.
>
> Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
> drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
> registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
> made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
> doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
> that does. Sad
>
> Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
> So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
> now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
> additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
> recognizes as formatted.
> At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
> under this rock.
>
> So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
> not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
> being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
> problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.
>
Back to top
nesredep egrob1
External


Since: Apr 26, 2004
Posts: 181



PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:38:58 -0700, mike000777 wrote:

>Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
>registry change and everything worked fine.
>
>Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
>drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
>registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
>made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
>doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
>that does. Sad
>
>Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
>So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
>now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
>additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
>recognizes as formatted.
>At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
>under this rock.
>
>So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
>not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
>being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
>problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.

Rather amazing. I have 2x 200 gb which have worked well for some years and now
needed much more space for some video work. Chose a 730 WD SATA and installed
and that came out as 128MB despite the fact that the others were working so I
had to resort to my cure which is:

Start/run/regedit
(if unsure export registry for safety)
select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
navigate to system/services/atapi/parameters or
system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi/parameters
right click for new
Select Dword name it EnableBigLba (take note of case)
set value to 1
end regedit
reboot

and I now have 1350 GB of disk space
No worries

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
Back to top
mike000777
External


Since: Jul 17, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jul 17, 10:37 am, John John wrote:
> You don't need to reinstall Windows, you will just end up at the same
> place if you do. After you install SP4 and enable big LBA in the
> registry just use the Disk Management tool to create a new partition in
> the unallocated space then format it.
>
> John
>
>
>
> mike000777 wrote:
> > Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
> > registry change and everything worked fine.
>
> > Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
> > drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
> > registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
> > made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
> > doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
> > that does. Sad
>
> > Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
> > So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
> > now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
> > additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
> > recognizes as formatted.
> > At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
> > under this rock.
>
> > So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
> > not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
> > being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
> > problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I have indeed experienced what you said. Nothing has changed. I am now
running XP but the same thing. I dl'd Knoppix, booted up into Linux
and it wouldn't mount the drive either.

The problem is I have LOTS of data on that drive. That's why I want to
get back in it. Should I be looking for some way to recreate the
partition table?

Errrrrrrrrr!
Back to top
John John
External


Since: Jun 05, 2004
Posts: 1937



PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mike000777 wrote:

> On Jul 17, 10:37 am, John John wrote:
>
>>You don't need to reinstall Windows, you will just end up at the same
>>place if you do. After you install SP4 and enable big LBA in the
>>registry just use the Disk Management tool to create a new partition in
>>the unallocated space then format it.
>>
>>John
>>
>>
>>
>>mike000777 wrote:
>>
>>>Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
>>>registry change and everything worked fine.
>>
>>>Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
>>>drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
>>>registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
>>>made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
>>>doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
>>>that does. Sad
>>
>>>Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
>>>So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
>>>now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
>>>additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
>>>recognizes as formatted.
>>>At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
>>>under this rock.
>>
>>>So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
>>>not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
>>>being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
>>>problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>>- Show quoted text -
>
>
> I have indeed experienced what you said. Nothing has changed. I am now
> running XP but the same thing. I dl'd Knoppix, booted up into Linux
> and it wouldn't mount the drive either.
>
> The problem is I have LOTS of data on that drive. That's why I want to
> get back in it. Should I be looking for some way to recreate the
> partition table?

Windows XP requires SP1 or better to properly see large drives. If I
understand your post correctly, you installed Windows 2000 on the 320GB
drive when it was already partitioned and used as one large partition?
You will have to consult with data recovery professionals to see what
can be done to salvage your files. Rebuilding the partition table may
recreate the drive in one large partition but there is no guarantee that
the data above the 127GB boundary is still intact. You can try recovery
software and see if you can rebuild the drive or recover your files.

If you installed Windows on a different drive, then once the service
pack and registry edits are applied it should recognize the full size of
the storage drive.

John
Back to top
mike000777
External


Since: Jul 17, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jul 19, 7:35 am, John John wrote:
> mike000777 wrote:
> > On Jul 17, 10:37 am, John John wrote:
>
> >>You don't need to reinstall Windows, you will just end up at the same
> >>place if you do. After you install SP4 and enable big LBA in the
> >>registry just use the Disk Management tool to create a new partition in
> >>the unallocated space then format it.
>
> >>John
>
> >>mike000777 wrote:
>
> >>>Ok I installed a new 320GB HD in Win2k by doing the EnableBigLba
> >>>registry change and everything worked fine.
>
> >>>Two days ago I reinstalled Win2k and of course it didn't recognize the
> >>>drive above 128MB, nor did it recognize the formatting. So, I did the
> >>>registry mod again and it still didn't work. I was messing around and
> >>>made the new drive "active". I confess, I didn't know WHAT I was
> >>>doing, I was just trying to get it to work. I still dont' know what
> >>>that does. Sad
>
> >>>Well I later learned that I needed SP3 or greater for BigLba to work.
> >>>So, I downloaded SP4 and a rollup, etc etc etc... fully updated and
> >>>now it still shows the orig 128 MB partition 'active' and an
> >>>additional partition with the remaining 170MB on it. Neither it
> >>>recognizes as formatted.
> >>>At this time I have reinstalled Win2k -again- hoping to get out from
> >>>under this rock.
>
> >>>So, I will reinstall, upgrade to SP4 -then- apply EnableBigLba. I do
> >>>not have internet on this PC yet due to wireless modem drivers, etc
> >>>being on the lost disc (LOL) soooo if anyone can anticipate any
> >>>problems I might still run into this evening, please speak up.- Hide quoted text -
>
> >>- Show quoted text -
>
> > I have indeed experienced what you said. Nothing has changed. I am now
> > running XP but the same thing. I dl'd Knoppix, booted up into Linux
> > and it wouldn't mount the drive either.
>
> > The problem is I have LOTS of data on that drive. That's why I want to
> > get back in it. Should I be looking for some way to recreate the
> > partition table?
>
> Windows XP requires SP1 or better to properly see large drives. If I
> understand your post correctly, you installed Windows 2000 on the 320GB
> drive when it was already partitioned and used as one large partition?
> You will have to consult with data recovery professionals to see what
> can be done to salvage your files. Rebuilding the partition table may
> recreate the drive in one large partition but there is no guarantee that
> the data above the 127GB boundary is still intact. You can try recovery
> software and see if you can rebuild the drive or recover your files.
>
> If you installed Windows on a different drive, then once the service
> pack and registry edits are applied it should recognize the full size of
> the storage drive.
>
> John- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

No, no OS has ever been installed on the 320gb.

Timeline:

Was running Win2k with latest SP on HD1.
Bought 320GB HD, now referred to as HD2.
HD2 was stuck at 128MB.
Applied EnableBigLba to Win2k, formatted HD2 and began using
successfully @ 320GB.
Reformatted HD1 using Win2k Install Disk and reinstalled Win2k on HD1.
HD2 back to 128GB. EnableBigLba on Win2k.
HD2 Still at 128GB.
Realize I have not upgraded to appropriate SP.
Upgrade to SP4.
HD2 still at 128MB + another "Unallocated" 170MB. At this point, I can
see the whole drive in Disk Management but it's split.
Horsing around, I make the 128GB partition on HD2 "Active". No change.

Then, I proceed to do the same install and SP upgrades with WinXP and
have the exact same problem.

Booted with Linux, Linux won't mount the drive. Downloaded a trial of
"Partition Table Doctor 3.5" which sees the drive at full size, but
says there's no partition.

That's where I am now, running WinXP still.
Back to top
Andy9
External


Since: Jun 19, 2004
Posts: 93



PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:35:40 -0000, mike000777
wrote:


>Timeline:
>
>Was running Win2k with latest SP on HD1.
>Bought 320GB HD, now referred to as HD2.
>HD2 was stuck at 128MB.
>Applied EnableBigLba to Win2k, formatted HD2 and began using
>successfully @ 320GB.
>Reformatted HD1 using Win2k Install Disk and reinstalled Win2k on HD1.
>HD2 back to 128GB. EnableBigLba on Win2k.
>HD2 Still at 128GB.
>Realize I have not upgraded to appropriate SP.
>Upgrade to SP4.
>HD2 still at 128MB + another "Unallocated" 170MB. At this point, I can
>see the whole drive in Disk Management but it's split.
>Horsing around, I make the 128GB partition on HD2 "Active". No change.
>
>Then, I proceed to do the same install and SP upgrades with WinXP and
>have the exact same problem.
>
>Booted with Linux, Linux won't mount the drive. Downloaded a trial of
>"Partition Table Doctor 3.5" which sees the drive at full size, but
>says there's no partition.
>
>That's where I am now, running WinXP still.
>
Sounds like autochk ran on HD2 while Windows 2000 was not configured
for 48-bit LBA.
Back to top
nesredep egrob1
External


Since: Apr 26, 2004
Posts: 181



PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Might I suggest a fresh start.
Get the manufacurers diagnostic data and place that on a floppie. Boot to that
and do a test of the drive.
If that test clears the disk you need to:

Start/run/regedit
(if unsure export registry for safety)
select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
navigate to system/services/atapi/parameters or
system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi/parameters
right click for new
Select Dword name it EnableBigLba (take note of case)
set value to 1
end regedit
reboot

Make sure you run this correctly. I have W2k SP4 and and an XP, I had trouble
with a SATA 750GB that was seen as a 128MB, despite the fact that I have two 200
GB disks working well. I had to do the LBA as above and it made the SATA change
its mind and I got some 680 GB or so available.
Follow directions, write them out or print them and you will find it will work
for you also - never had anyone come back and complain.

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
>
Back to top
nesredep egrob1
External


Since: Apr 26, 2004
Posts: 181



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:55:13 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat.
115,47.40> wrote:

>Might I suggest a fresh start.
>Get the manufacurers diagnostic data and place that on a floppie. Boot to that
>and do a test of the drive.
>If that test clears the disk you need to:
>
>Start/run/regedit
>(if unsure export registry for safety)
>select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>navigate to system/services/atapi/parameters or
>system/currentcontrolset/services/atapi/parameters
>right click for new
>Select Dword name it EnableBigLba (take note of case)
>set value to 1
>end regedit
>reboot
>
>Make sure you run this correctly. I have W2k SP4 and and an XP, I had trouble
>with a SATA 750GB that was seen as a 128MB, despite the fact that I have two 200
>GB disks working well. I had to do the LBA as above and it made the SATA change
>its mind and I got some 680 GB or so available.
>Follow directions, write them out or print them and you will find it will work
>for you also - never had anyone come back and complain.
>
>Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
>>
I have just been though the mill with an intermittent. Ran all night and did a
job for me - keeled over next morning - blue screen. Cooled it down and
re-started only to see that there reportedly were no disks in the computer.
Took out the system disk, a WD 320 GB and placed that in a USB box. A quick
listen showed that the disk was not spinning. A reboot made it spin and all data
was stored in another computer to be ready the the replacement.
Remember - it was intermittend - one of the horrible faults in electronics.

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
Back to top
mike000777
External


Since: Jul 17, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BigLba problems [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jul 20, 10:10 pm, Andy wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:35:40 -0000, mike000777
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> >Timeline:
>
> >Was running Win2k with latest SP on HD1.
> >Bought 320GB HD, now referred to as HD2.
> >HD2 was stuck at 128MB.
> >Applied EnableBigLba to Win2k, formatted HD2 and began using
> >successfully @ 320GB.
> >Reformatted HD1 using Win2k Install Disk and reinstalled Win2k on HD1.
> >HD2 back to 128GB. EnableBigLba on Win2k.
> >HD2 Still at 128GB.
> >Realize I have not upgraded to appropriate SP.
> >Upgrade to SP4.
> >HD2 still at 128MB + another "Unallocated" 170MB. At this point, I can
> >see the whole drive in Disk Management but it's split.
> >Horsing around, I make the 128GB partition on HD2 "Active". No change.
>
> >Then, I proceed to do the same install and SP upgrades with WinXP and
> >have the exact same problem.
>
> >Booted with Linux, Linux won't mount the drive. Downloaded a trial of
> >"Partition Table Doctor 3.5" which sees the drive at full size, but
> >says there's no partition.
>
> >That's where I am now, running WinXP still.
>
> Sounds like autochk ran on HD2 while Windows 2000 was not configured
> for 48-bit LBA.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I believe this is what happened. Anyway to "undo" it?

At this point, I think my only choice is to probably use recovery
software. Anybody know any good freeware apps? LOL
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussion All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum