hidden hit counter
Help!

Possible to disable logon after hibernate in XP Home?

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Security Admin RSS
Next:  Looking for Backup Software  
Author Message
tim
External


Since: Feb 19, 2005
Posts: 70



PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Possible to disable logon after hibernate in XP Home?
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>security_admin (more info?)

I am nearly complete in setting up a homebrew PVR system with XP Home, but
have encountered a problem. I schedule my computer to start up right before
my TV programs are scheduled to run, and hibernate after my recording. My TV
software will not run unless it's actually displayed, which means login
screens will prevent it from showing up. In XP Pro, I was able to disable
the login screen from appearing when returning from hibernate (gpedit.msc,
User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Power Management,
"Prompt for password on resume from hibernate/suspend"). However, XP Home
doesn't seem to respect this regkey. The description of the setting states:
Requirements:
At least MS Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003 family

My question: does anybody know of any other way of disabling the logon
prompt upon returning from hibernate? I've already tried setting autologon
with TweakUI, but that only takes care of the initial login prompt. I had
this all working perfectly in XP Pro, and thought that XP Home would simplify
things. Seems a shame to have to switch back to Pro just because of this
feature.
(being energy conscious, I'd prefer not to leave the computer on 24/7).
Back to top
Nepatsfan
External


Since: Mar 12, 2005
Posts: 3034



PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to disable logon after hibernate in XP Home? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In news:09EB9AF0-011F-4C73-9A12-69A040CD3244@microsoft.com,
tim wrote:
> I am nearly complete in setting up a homebrew PVR system with
> XP
> Home, but have encountered a problem. I schedule my computer
> to
> start up right before my TV programs are scheduled to run,
> and
> hibernate after my recording. My TV software will not run
> unless
> it's actually displayed, which means login screens will
> prevent it
> from showing up. In XP Pro, I was able to disable the login
> screen
> from appearing when returning from hibernate (gpedit.msc,
> User
> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Power
> Management,
> "Prompt for password on resume from hibernate/suspend").
> However, XP
> Home doesn't seem to respect this regkey. The description of
> the
> setting states: Requirements:
> At least MS Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003
> family
>
> My question: does anybody know of any other way of disabling
> the logon
> prompt upon returning from hibernate? I've already tried
> setting
> autologon with TweakUI, but that only takes care of the
> initial login
> prompt. I had this all working perfectly in XP Pro, and
> thought that
> XP Home would simplify things. Seems a shame to have to
> switch back
> to Pro just because of this feature.
> (being energy conscious, I'd prefer not to leave the computer
> on
> 24/7).

Try this,

Go to Control Panel and double click Power Options.
In Power Options, click on the Advanced tab.
Remove the check mark from the box next to "Prompt for password
when computer resumes from standby".
Click OK.

Good luck

Nepatsfan
Back to top
tim
External


Since: Feb 19, 2005
Posts: 70



PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to disable logon after hibernate in XP Home? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Wonderful, don't know how I missed this. Thank you.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:09EB9AF0-011F-4C73-9A12-69A040CD3244@microsoft.com,
> tim wrote:
> > I am nearly complete in setting up a homebrew PVR system with
> > XP
> > Home, but have encountered a problem. I schedule my computer
> > to
> > start up right before my TV programs are scheduled to run,
> > and
> > hibernate after my recording. My TV software will not run
> > unless
> > it's actually displayed, which means login screens will
> > prevent it
> > from showing up. In XP Pro, I was able to disable the login
> > screen
> > from appearing when returning from hibernate (gpedit.msc,
> > User
> > Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Power
> > Management,
> > "Prompt for password on resume from hibernate/suspend").
> > However, XP
> > Home doesn't seem to respect this regkey. The description of
> > the
> > setting states: Requirements:
> > At least MS Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003
> > family
> >
> > My question: does anybody know of any other way of disabling
> > the logon
> > prompt upon returning from hibernate? I've already tried
> > setting
> > autologon with TweakUI, but that only takes care of the
> > initial login
> > prompt. I had this all working perfectly in XP Pro, and
> > thought that
> > XP Home would simplify things. Seems a shame to have to
> > switch back
> > to Pro just because of this feature.
> > (being energy conscious, I'd prefer not to leave the computer
> > on
> > 24/7).
>
> Try this,
>
> Go to Control Panel and double click Power Options.
> In Power Options, click on the Advanced tab.
> Remove the check mark from the box next to "Prompt for password
> when computer resumes from standby".
> Click OK.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>
Back to top
Nepatsfan
External


Since: Mar 12, 2005
Posts: 3034



PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to disable logon after hibernate in XP Home? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan

In news:DFC0A256-CFB5-4E1D-883E-CDB9F51D790B@microsoft.com,
tim wrote:
> Wonderful, don't know how I missed this. Thank you.
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> In news:09EB9AF0-011F-4C73-9A12-69A040CD3244@microsoft.com,
>> tim wrote:
>>> I am nearly complete in setting up a homebrew PVR system
>>> with
>>> XP
>>> Home, but have encountered a problem. I schedule my
>>> computer
>>> to
>>> start up right before my TV programs are scheduled to run,
>>> and
>>> hibernate after my recording. My TV software will not run
>>> unless
>>> it's actually displayed, which means login screens will
>>> prevent it
>>> from showing up. In XP Pro, I was able to disable the
>>> login
>>> screen
>>> from appearing when returning from hibernate (gpedit.msc,
>>> User
>>> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Power
>>> Management,
>>> "Prompt for password on resume from hibernate/suspend").
>>> However, XP
>>> Home doesn't seem to respect this regkey. The description
>>> of
>>> the
>>> setting states: Requirements:
>>> At least MS Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003
>>> family
>>>
>>> My question: does anybody know of any other way of
>>> disabling
>>> the logon
>>> prompt upon returning from hibernate? I've already tried
>>> setting
>>> autologon with TweakUI, but that only takes care of the
>>> initial login
>>> prompt. I had this all working perfectly in XP Pro, and
>>> thought that
>>> XP Home would simplify things. Seems a shame to have to
>>> switch back
>>> to Pro just because of this feature.
>>> (being energy conscious, I'd prefer not to leave the
>>> computer
>>> on
>>> 24/7).
>>
>> Try this,
>>
>> Go to Control Panel and double click Power Options.
>> In Power Options, click on the Advanced tab.
>> Remove the check mark from the box next to "Prompt for
>> password
>> when computer resumes from standby".
>> Click OK.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Security Admin All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum