hidden hit counter
Help!

Windows Live Sign-in

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Perform Maintain RSS
Next:  windows update glitches  
Author Message
Bob Hahn
External


Since: Nov 17, 2006
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Windows Live Sign-in
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>perform_maintain (more info?)

For a couple of months now, whenever I'm in Windows Explorer, as soon as I
get to the C:/Documents and Settings/myname folder, the "Sign in With Windows
Live ID" window opens. My Windows Live (Passport) ID is already entered and I
just need to enter my password. If I hit the Cancel button, the window closes
but opens back up within a few seconds. After 3 or 4 times of hitting Cancel,
it stops. That is the only place in Win Expl it happens. I have disabled
Windows Messenger (never used it anyway) but no effect. I have Win XP sp2
Home with all updates current. Have AVG, Win Defender, Spybot. Using IE7 but
this has been happening long before I installed it. Wife has almost identical
computer/setup/OS with no problem. Any suggestions? Problem is just annoying
but one I can live with.
Thanks
Back to top
bunnyearedcath
External


Since: Nov 25, 2006
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Live Sign-in [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I'm having the exact same problem... anyone have a solution?




Bob Hahn wrote:
> For a couple of months now, whenever I'm in Windows Explorer, as soon as I
> get to the C:/Documents and Settings/myname folder, the "Sign in With Windows
> Live ID" window opens. My Windows Live (Passport) ID is already entered and I
> just need to enter my password. If I hit the Cancel button, the window closes
> but opens back up within a few seconds. After 3 or 4 times of hitting Cancel,
> it stops. That is the only place in Win Expl it happens. I have disabled
> Windows Messenger (never used it anyway) but no effect. I have Win XP sp2
> Home with all updates current. Have AVG, Win Defender, Spybot. Using IE7 but
> this has been happening long before I installed it. Wife has almost identical
> computer/setup/OS with no problem. Any suggestions? Problem is just annoying
> but one I can live with.
> Thanks
Back to top
Oggy
External


Since: Dec 16, 2006
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: RE: Windows Live Sign-in [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Me three, but it just started. Plus when I start to type in the address, it
autocompletes with two other addresses. One ending in @hotmail.it and one
ending in /uk with my user name. This looks fishy. Also, I can't
log into this screen with any address or password I have for any
hotmal/passport account.

Does anybody ever answer questions around here? Especially q's like these? I
KNOW there's people around here that know the answers.
Back to top
Oggy
External


Since: Dec 16, 2006
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: RE: Windows Live Sign-in [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Oggy" wrote:

> One ending in @hotmail.it and one
> ending in /uk with my user name.

mistake- it's @hotmail.co.uk

I've just installed the newest version of .net (.net2 whateva) mebbe this is
it?

And also can this be used to store or recover your dox?
Back to top
Ken Blake MVP
External


Since: Feb 19, 2004
Posts: 7387



PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Live Sign-in [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Oggy wrote:

> Me three, but it just started. Plus when I start to type in the
> address, it autocompletes with two other addresses. One ending in
> @hotmail.it and one ending in /uk with my user name. This
> looks fishy. Also, I can't log into this screen with any address or
> password I have for any hotmal/passport account.
>
> Does anybody ever answer questions around here? Especially q's like
> these? I KNOW there's people around here that know the answers.


I, and many others here, answer many questions here all the time. But I
can't help you with your problem, since I don't know what it is. You say "me
three," but since you quoted nothing, I have no idea what you're referring
to.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Back to top
Karol Olszewski
External


Since: Jan 15, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

When browsing folders normally, for no apparent reason a "Sign In with Windows Live ID" login box pops up.

This is anoying especially since we don't use MSN/Messenger and don't even have the Live version installed. We are not viewing any MSN websites at the time or on these days and we log off at the end of the day and do a full shutdown as opposed to a hibernate so there is no chance of things stayin in memory.

This does seem to be related to one of the recent microsoft updates.

We would like to find out what causes this and what ailes there are for this anoying pop up box.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Back to top
brandon
External


Since: Jan 17, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: ME too [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mine does the same thing when i access my recent documents.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Back to top
mailtokennyc
External


Since: Jan 24, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi all

Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks.

On 1月15日, 下午6時35分, Karol Olszewski wrote:
> When browsing folders normally, for no apparent reason a "SignIn withWindowsLiveID" login box pops up.
>
> This is anoying especially since we don't use MSN/Messenger and don't even have theLiveversion installed. We are not viewing any MSN websites at the time or on these days and we log off at the end of the day and do a full shutdown as opposed to a hibernate so there is no chance of things stayin in memory.
>
> This does seem to be related to one of the recent microsoft updates.
>
> We would like to find out what causes this and what ailes there are for this anoying pop up box.
>
> EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com
Back to top
dzicky
External


Since: Feb 02, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I have started having the same problem today but am pretty confident it only
started today (ie not months ago like some have found). I have installed a
WMP update today but tried removing it to see if the problem went away. It
didn't.

Is anyone getting anywhere on diagnosing this?

Thanks


" " wrote:

>
> Hi all
>
> Is there any update on this issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 115, 銝635, Karol Olszewski wrote:
> > When browsing folders normally, for no apparent reason a "SignIn withWindowsLiveID" login box pops up.
> >
> > This is anoying especially since we don't use MSN/Messenger and don't even have theLiveversion installed. We are not viewing any MSN websites at the time or on these days and we log off at the end of the day and do a full shutdown as opposed to a hibernate so there is no chance of things stayin in memory.
> >
> > This does seem to be related to one of the recent microsoft updates.
> >
> > We would like to find out what causes this and what ailes there are for this anoying pop up box.
> >
> > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com
>
>
Back to top
skipper
External


Since: Feb 12, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Sign In with Windows Live ID" box pops up - solution

I don't know where this came from but its only just started happening
after installing IE7 and a load of updates to XP home on 12 Feb 2007.

The symptoms are that, when you use Windows explorer in XP, and you go
to "documents and settings/username" ie your own user name, you keep
getting a pop up window which says "Sign in to Windows Live ID".

I solved it as follows:

Set hidden files to be visible in Windows Explorer

Go to "documents and settings/username" ie your own user name folder
using Windows Explorer

Cancel the annoying Live ID popup box

You will see a hidden folder called NetHood

Inside that folder resides an item called "My web sites on MSN"

Delete that item

And hey presto your problem is gone.

I would suggest that whats happening is that explorer is attempting to
access the MSN site to populate this list of web sites. So deleting
this shortcut to MSN cures the problem.

Looks like a clear case of the antichrist taking over my PC!!

Hope that works for you

Mike Rose
Back to top
dzicky
External


Since: Feb 02, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Top bombing!

Worked a treat...

MANY thanks


"skipper" wrote:

> "Sign In with Windows Live ID" box pops up - solution
>
> I don't know where this came from but its only just started happening
> after installing IE7 and a load of updates to XP home on 12 Feb 2007.
>
> The symptoms are that, when you use Windows explorer in XP, and you go
> to "documents and settings/username" ie your own user name, you keep
> getting a pop up window which says "Sign in to Windows Live ID".
>
> I solved it as follows:
>
> Set hidden files to be visible in Windows Explorer
>
> Go to "documents and settings/username" ie your own user name folder
> using Windows Explorer
>
> Cancel the annoying Live ID popup box
>
> You will see a hidden folder called NetHood
>
> Inside that folder resides an item called "My web sites on MSN"
>
> Delete that item
>
> And hey presto your problem is gone.
>
> I would suggest that whats happening is that explorer is attempting to
> access the MSN site to populate this list of web sites. So deleting
> this shortcut to MSN cures the problem.
>
> Looks like a clear case of the antichrist taking over my PC!!
>
> Hope that works for you
>
> Mike Rose
>
>
Back to top
BillandKids



Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I've found what I think is a better solution, as the original solution requires you to delete the MSN link from each profile you visit. As a support tech, I navigate through ALOt of user ID's, and this popup was killing me!

This one kills it at its source..

Open Regedit
Search for "Web Service Providers"
Edit the value for PPLastGoodIntlDLL
Add a 1 to the DLL filename to disable the DLL.

I changed mine to msoautui1.dll

Exit Regedit and enjoy popup free work again!
Back to top
alba



Joined: Jun 29, 2004
Posts: 28



PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Live Sign-in [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Bob Hahn wrote:
For a couple of months now, whenever I'm in Windows Explorer, as soon as I
get to the C:/Documents and Settings/myname folder, the "Sign in With Windows
Live ID" window opens. My Windows Live (Passport) ID is already entered and I
just need to enter my password. If I hit the Cancel button, the window closes
but opens back up within a few seconds. After 3 or 4 times of hitting Cancel,
it stops. That is the only place in Windows Explorer it happens.
Thanks


Hi Bob!

I've had this problem too for some time and I think I've found the answer/solution thanks to Mike Rose over at Re: "Sign In with Windows Live ID" pops up randomly and I give his instructions as follows:

"Sign In with Windows Live ID" box pops up - solution

The symptoms are that, when you use Windows explorer in XP, and you go to "documents and settings/username" i.e. your own user name, you keep getting a pop up window which says "Sign in to Windows Live ID".

I solved it as follows:

Set hidden files to be visible in Windows Explorer

Go to "documents and settings/username" i.e. your own user name folder using Windows Explorer

Cancel the annoying Live ID popup box

You will see a hidden folder called NetHood

Inside that folder resides an item called "My web sites on MSN"

Delete that item

And "Hey Presto!" your problem is gone.

I would suggest that whats happening is that explorer is attempting to access the MSN site to populate this list of web sites. So deleting this shortcut to MSN cures the problem.

Looks like a clear case of the antichrist taking over my PC!!

Hope that works for you

Mike Rose


I hope it helps out all those who, like myself, have been tearing clumps of hair out over this annoying little irk!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Perform Maintain All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum