hidden hit counter
Help!

WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp ..

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Help & Support RSS
Next:  Windows firewall - help 84  
Author Message
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp folder
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>help_and_support (more info?)

Issue: 25 different language ".bin" files (Arabic.bin, Czech.bin, ...) keep
showing up in each user's temp folder - C:\Documents and
Settings"username"\Local Settings\Temp. How do I get rid of them permanently?

Details:
I have installed WinXP Pro SP2 and used the Files and Settings utility to
restore 2 users from a different computer that was running WinXP Home SP2.

At one point I was seeing the language bar show up in the task tray, then it
stopped and I have not seen it anymore (all I can remember doing is
right-clicking on it in the task tray to turn it off?).

But now I see 25 ".bin" files in each user's temp folder, and I can not get
rid of them. I delete them and they come right back upon the next reboot. If
I don't delete them, they don't get touched (date/time stamp remains the same
as when they got placed there). This is 541kb of stuff for each user that I
would just assume NOT be put in the temp folder.

I have gone to Regional and Language Options in Control Panel ...

Regional Options tab in Regional and Language Options:
- "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
- "United States" is listed in the "To help services provide..."

Languages tab in Regional and Language Options:
- neither of the Supplemental language support boxes are checked.

When clicking on the "Details" button,
For the Settings tab:
- Default input language is "English (United States) - US"
- Installed services section has EN English (United States) > Keyboard > US
- Preferences section has BOTH buttons disabled! (don't know how or why)

Advanced tab:
- Compatibility Configuration - "Extend support of advanced text services
to all programs" - not checked
- System Configuration - "Turn off advanced text services" - not checked
(initially)

Advanced tab in Regional and Language Options:
- "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
- "Code page conversion tables" has about 74 codes checked.
- "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user
profile" is not checked


I tried CHANGING "Turn off advanced text services" by checking the box,
deleting the 25 language files, and rebooting the computer. The same 25 files
re-appeared with the current date/time stamp.

I do not know how to get rid of these files, or am I just stuck with leaving
them there? I like to clean out the temp folders on a regular basis.
Back to top
nass
External


Since: May 01, 2006
Posts: 3658



PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp folder [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Remay,
My reply in line:

"remay" wrote:

> Issue: 25 different language ".bin" files (Arabic.bin, Czech.bin, ...) keep
> showing up in each user's temp folder - C:\Documents and
> Settings"username"\Local Settings\Temp. How do I get rid of them permanently?
>
> Details:
> I have installed WinXP Pro SP2 and used the Files and Settings utility to
> restore 2 users from a different computer that was running WinXP Home SP2.
>
> At one point I was seeing the language bar show up in the task tray, then it
> stopped and I have not seen it anymore (all I can remember doing is
> right-clicking on it in the task tray to turn it off?).
>
> But now I see 25 ".bin" files in each user's temp folder, and I can not get
> rid of them. I delete them and they come right back upon the next reboot. If
> I don't delete them, they don't get touched (date/time stamp remains the same
> as when they got placed there). This is 541kb of stuff for each user that I
> would just assume NOT be put in the temp folder.
>
> I have gone to Regional and Language Options in Control Panel ...
>
> Regional Options tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
> - "United States" is listed in the "To help services provide..."

My guess the Language may corrupted, try to select English (UK) and then
Revert back to English (US) and see if the system will wake up and recognize.

> Languages tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - neither of the Supplemental language support boxes are checked.
Try to check the check box for Supplemental Langauge Support:
[ ] install files for complex script and right-to-left languages
(including Thai)

Then if nothing happened uncheck it again.

>
> When clicking on the "Details" button,
> For the Settings tab:
> - Default input language is "English (United States) - US"
> - Installed services section has EN English (United States) > Keyboard > US
> - Preferences section has BOTH buttons disabled! (don't know how or why)

Did you Highlight the say Keyboard for United Sates then click on [
Language Bar..] Button and then on the Language Bar Settings check this box:
[ ] Show the Language bar on the Desktop.


> Advanced tab:
> - Compatibility Configuration - "Extend support of advanced text services
> to all programs" - not checked
> - System Configuration - "Turn off advanced text services" - not checked
> (initially)

That's Right


> Advanced tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
> - "Code page conversion tables" has about 74 codes checked.
> - "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user
> profile" is not checked
> I tried CHANGING "Turn off advanced text services" by checking the box,
> deleting the 25 language files, and rebooting the computer. The same 25 files
> re-appeared with the current date/time stamp.
>
> I do not know how to get rid of these files, or am I just stuck with leaving
> them there? I like to clean out the temp folders on a regular basis.

What your setting on Internet Explorer, try to see the Language setting on
the Internet Explorer and if there is Arabic Language there Remove and click
[OK] then click on Font and set the font to the Right Font for the United
sates which I think

Language Script: [ Latin Base ]

Web page font: Plain text
font:
------------------------------- --------------------------
Times New Roman Curier New

Then [OK] and Reboot ,then see what will happen.
Also check the Encoding , by clicking on View >> Encoding >> Be sure Auto is
selected and the Langauge.
HTH.
Please let us know.
Regs,
nass
Back to top
NewScience
External


Since: Aug 07, 2006
Posts: 935



PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp folder [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Do you have MS Office installed? Did you accidentally install Text Service
Support in installation options?

"remay" wrote in message

> Issue: 25 different language ".bin" files (Arabic.bin, Czech.bin, ...)
> keep
> showing up in each user's temp folder - C:\Documents and
> Settings"username"\Local Settings\Temp. How do I get rid of them
> permanently?
>
> Details:
> I have installed WinXP Pro SP2 and used the Files and Settings utility to
> restore 2 users from a different computer that was running WinXP Home SP2.
>
> At one point I was seeing the language bar show up in the task tray, then
> it
> stopped and I have not seen it anymore (all I can remember doing is
> right-clicking on it in the task tray to turn it off?).
>
> But now I see 25 ".bin" files in each user's temp folder, and I can not
> get
> rid of them. I delete them and they come right back upon the next reboot.
> If
> I don't delete them, they don't get touched (date/time stamp remains the
> same
> as when they got placed there). This is 541kb of stuff for each user that
> I
> would just assume NOT be put in the temp folder.
>
> I have gone to Regional and Language Options in Control Panel ...
>
> Regional Options tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
> - "United States" is listed in the "To help services provide..."
>
> Languages tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - neither of the Supplemental language support boxes are checked.
>
> When clicking on the "Details" button,
> For the Settings tab:
> - Default input language is "English (United States) - US"
> - Installed services section has EN English (United States) > Keyboard >
> US
> - Preferences section has BOTH buttons disabled! (don't know how or why)
>
> Advanced tab:
> - Compatibility Configuration - "Extend support of advanced text services
> to all programs" - not checked
> - System Configuration - "Turn off advanced text services" - not checked
> (initially)
>
> Advanced tab in Regional and Language Options:
> - "English (United States)" is listed for "Select an item to match..."
> - "Code page conversion tables" has about 74 codes checked.
> - "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user
> profile" is not checked
>
>
> I tried CHANGING "Turn off advanced text services" by checking the box,
> deleting the 25 language files, and rebooting the computer. The same 25
> files
> re-appeared with the current date/time stamp.
>
> I do not know how to get rid of these files, or am I just stuck with
> leaving
> them there? I like to clean out the temp folders on a regular basis.
>
>
>
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"NewScience" wrote:

> Do you have MS Office installed? Did you accidentally install Text Service
> Support in installation options?
>

Yes, have MS Office 2003 Pro installed. Not sure if I installed "Text
Service Support" - probably did the "normal" installation.

I just checked the start menu listings for Office 2003 and found "Microsoft
Office 2003 Language Settings". When I clicked on it, it started the
installation process. It showed one enable language "English (U.S.)" I
canceled. So from that I am assuming that what you suggested had been
installed, and is still not.
Back to top
NewScience
External


Since: Aug 07, 2006
Posts: 935



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I would use Add/Remove Programs, click on MS Office, select Modify (or
Change).
When the MS Office Setup screen appears, look for Miscellaneous (Additonal
Options,....) don't know what it is called in the menu).
However, somewhere in the list should show installation of Language support
or Language bar ....
CLick on the icon and select do not install (this will cause Setup to keep
everything else but remove that if installed).

"remay" wrote in message

>
>
> "NewScience" wrote:
>
>> Do you have MS Office installed? Did you accidentally install Text
>> Service
>> Support in installation options?
>>
>
> Yes, have MS Office 2003 Pro installed. Not sure if I installed "Text
> Service Support" - probably did the "normal" installation.
>
> I just checked the start menu listings for Office 2003 and found
> "Microsoft
> Office 2003 Language Settings". When I clicked on it, it started the
> installation process. It showed one enable language "English (U.S.)" I
> canceled. So from that I am assuming that what you suggested had been
> installed, and is still not.
>
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"nass" wrote:

>
> My guess the Language may corrupted, try to select English (UK) and then
> Revert back to English (US) and see if the system will wake up and recognize.
>

In Regional Options tab, I changed "Select an item to match..." from
"English (United States)" to "English (United Kindom") and also changed "To
help services provide..." from "United States" to "United Kingdom", and hit
Apply. I went to the Language tab and the Details button, and saw that a 2nd
set of entries had been added to the Installed services section (United
Kingdom). I then went back to the Regional Options tab and changed the two
settings back to the ones I had, hit Apply, went back to Details, and removed
the United Kingdom entry, hit Apply.

Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted. Upon login
with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.




> Try to check the check box for Supplemental Langauge Support:
> [ ] install files for complex script and right-to-left languages
> (including Thai)
>
> Then if nothing happened uncheck it again.
>


When I checked the "Install files for complex script and right-to-left
languages (including Thai), I got a warning message box:

"You chose to install the Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Indic, Thai
and Vietnamese language files. This will require 10 MB or more of available
disk space. The files will be installed after you click OK or Apply on the
Regional and Language Options dialog box."

After closing the warning message, I then unchecked the "Install files..."
box and got a different warning box:

"If you remove the Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Indic, Thai and
Vietnamese language files, you will no longer be able to enter or display
text in thes languages. To remove these files, click OK or Apply on the
Regional and Language Options dialog box."

I clicked OK in the Regional and Language Options window (box was
UNchecked). Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted.
Upon login with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.






> Did you Highlight the say Keyboard for United Sates then click on [
> Language Bar..] Button and then on the Language Bar Settings check this box:
> [ ] Show the Language bar on the Desktop.
>

from original post: "Preferences section has BOTH buttons disabled! (don't
know how or why)".

So this means both the following buttons were greyed out and I could not
access them, no matter which of the labels I highlighted in the "Installed
services" section - "EN English (United States)", "Keyboard", or "US":
- Language Bar
- Key Settings

I did try "Add" and chose another English input language (United Kingdom),
and then the "Key Settings" button became enabled, but the "Language Bar" was
still disabled.



> What your setting on Internet Explorer, try to see the Language setting on
> the Internet Explorer and if there is Arabic Language there Remove and click
> [OK] then click on Font and set the font to the Right Font for the United
> sates which I think
>
> Language Script: [ Latin Base ]
>
> Web page font: Plain text
> font:
> ------------------------------- --------------------------
> Times New Roman Curier New
>
> Then [OK] and Reboot ,then see what will happen.
> Also check the Encoding , by clicking on View >> Encoding >> Be sure Auto is
> selected and the Langauge.


In IE 6.0, I clicked on View > Encoding
"Western European (ISO)" was selected and "Auto-Select" was NOT checked

I clicked on the "Languages" button in the Internet Properties window,
General tab, and the only language indicated is "English (United States)
[en-us]"

I have the same web and plain text font ettings as you indicated above, in
the window produced when clicking on the "Fonts" button in the General tab of
the Internet Properties window.
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"NewScience" wrote:

> I would use Add/Remove Programs, click on MS Office, select Modify (or
> Change).
> When the MS Office Setup screen appears, look for Miscellaneous (Additonal
> Options,....) don't know what it is called in the menu).
> However, somewhere in the list should show installation of Language support
> or Language bar ....
> CLick on the icon and select do not install (this will cause Setup to keep
> everything else but remove that if installed).
>


I mis-stated my previous response. I meant to indicate the features had most
likely NOT been installed, and are still not installed.

In Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, I clicked Change for Office Pro
Edition 2003. Then did "Add or Remove Features". Then checked the box "Choose
advanced customization of applications".

Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings Tool".
It was set to "Run from My Computer".

Under "Under Office Shared Features", there was an option called
"International Support" where Universal and Syriac fonts were marked as "not
available", and Japanese font was marked as "Installed on First Use".
Back to top
NewScience
External


Since: Aug 07, 2006
Posts: 935



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

If it was set to Run from my computer then it IS installed for Language
Settings Bar.

"remay" wrote in message

>
>
> "NewScience" wrote:
>
>> I would use Add/Remove Programs, click on MS Office, select Modify (or
>> Change).
>> When the MS Office Setup screen appears, look for Miscellaneous
>> (Additonal
>> Options,....) don't know what it is called in the menu).
>> However, somewhere in the list should show installation of Language
>> support
>> or Language bar ....
>> CLick on the icon and select do not install (this will cause Setup to
>> keep
>> everything else but remove that if installed).
>>
>
>
> I mis-stated my previous response. I meant to indicate the features had
> most
> likely NOT been installed, and are still not installed.
>
> In Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, I clicked Change for Office Pro
> Edition 2003. Then did "Add or Remove Features". Then checked the box
> "Choose
> advanced customization of applications".
>
> Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings Tool".
> It was set to "Run from My Computer".
>
> Under "Under Office Shared Features", there was an option called
> "International Support" where Universal and Syriac fonts were marked as
> "not
> available", and Japanese font was marked as "Installed on First Use".
>
>
Back to top
nass
External


Since: May 01, 2006
Posts: 3658



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"remay" wrote:

>
>
> "nass" wrote:
>
> >
> > My guess the Language may corrupted, try to select English (UK) and then
> > Revert back to English (US) and see if the system will wake up and recognize.
> >
>
> In Regional Options tab, I changed "Select an item to match..." from
> "English (United States)" to "English (United Kindom") and also changed "To
> help services provide..." from "United States" to "United Kingdom", and hit
> Apply. I went to the Language tab and the Details button, and saw that a 2nd
> set of entries had been added to the Installed services section (United
> Kingdom). I then went back to the Regional Options tab and changed the two
> settings back to the ones I had, hit Apply, went back to Details, and removed
> the United Kingdom entry, hit Apply.
>
> Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted. Upon login
> with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.
>
>
>
>
> > Try to check the check box for Supplemental Langauge Support:
> > [ ] install files for complex script and right-to-left languages
> > (including Thai)
> >
> > Then if nothing happened uncheck it again.
> >
>
>
> When I checked the "Install files for complex script and right-to-left
> languages (including Thai), I got a warning message box:
>
> "You chose to install the Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Indic, Thai
> and Vietnamese language files. This will require 10 MB or more of available
> disk space. The files will be installed after you click OK or Apply on the
> Regional and Language Options dialog box."
>
> After closing the warning message, I then unchecked the "Install files..."
> box and got a different warning box:
>
> "If you remove the Arabic, Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Indic, Thai and
> Vietnamese language files, you will no longer be able to enter or display
> text in thes languages. To remove these files, click OK or Apply on the
> Regional and Language Options dialog box."
>
> I clicked OK in the Regional and Language Options window (box was
> UNchecked). Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted.
> Upon login with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Did you Highlight the say Keyboard for United Sates then click on [
> > Language Bar..] Button and then on the Language Bar Settings check this box:
> > [ ] Show the Language bar on the Desktop.
> >
>
> from original post: "Preferences section has BOTH buttons disabled! (don't
> know how or why)".
>
> So this means both the following buttons were greyed out and I could not
> access them, no matter which of the labels I highlighted in the "Installed
> services" section - "EN English (United States)", "Keyboard", or "US":
> - Language Bar
> - Key Settings
>
> I did try "Add" and chose another English input language (United Kingdom),
> and then the "Key Settings" button became enabled, but the "Language Bar" was
> still disabled.
>
>
>
> > What your setting on Internet Explorer, try to see the Language setting on
> > the Internet Explorer and if there is Arabic Language there Remove and click
> > [OK] then click on Font and set the font to the Right Font for the United
> > sates which I think
> >
> > Language Script: [ Latin Base ]
> >
> > Web page font: Plain text
> > font:
> > ------------------------------- --------------------------
> > Times New Roman Curier New
> >
> > Then [OK] and Reboot ,then see what will happen.
> > Also check the Encoding , by clicking on View >> Encoding >> Be sure Auto is
> > selected and the Langauge.
>
>
> In IE 6.0, I clicked on View > Encoding
> "Western European (ISO)" was selected and "Auto-Select" was NOT checked
>
> I clicked on the "Languages" button in the Internet Properties window,
> General tab, and the only language indicated is "English (United States)
> [en-us]"
>
> I have the same web and plain text font ettings as you indicated above, in
> the window produced when clicking on the "Fonts" button in the General tab of
> the Internet Properties window.

Hi Remay,
To Enable the Language Bar on the Regional Settings try this:
Open a Run Command and type:
regsvr32 msutb.dll click [OK], Reboot and then go to the Control Panel
and click on Date and Regionla settings and click on Lagunages Tab and
hopefully you will find Language Bar Active not disabled and do your changes.
Opepn Word Application and click Tools >> Language and see what language
there been set, then click Help and click Detect and Repair to repair.
NOTES:
1) To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators
group on the local computer, or you must have been given the appropriate
authority. If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain
Admins group might be able to perform this procedure.
2) Only non-Unicode programs are affected by this setting. The language you
select for this option does not change the menus and dialog boxes of Windows
or other Unicode programs.
I presume you have a GPO been set, did you ty to changes this on the user
configuration Templates, by typing in the Run command :
gpedit.msc click [OK]
On the Group Policy click under Administrative Templates:
[&] Administrative Templates
[ - ] Control Panel
[ - ] Regional and Languages Settings see in the right Pane/Window
what been set for the users or the group of users.

Also have a look under:
[&] Local computer policy
[-] Computer Configuration
[-] Windows Settings
[-] Security Settings
[-] Local Policy.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883262

HTH.
Please let us know.
Regards,
nass
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

> > In Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, I clicked Change for Office Pro
> > Edition 2003. Then did "Add or Remove Features". Then checked the box
> > "Choose
> > advanced customization of applications".
> >
> > Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings Tool".
> > It was set to "Run from My Computer".
> >
> > Under "Under Office Shared Features", there was an option called
> > "International Support" where Universal and Syriac fonts were marked as
> > "not
> > available", and Japanese font was marked as "Installed on First Use".
> >
> >


"NewScience" wrote:

> If it was set to Run from my computer then it IS installed for Language
> Settings Bar.
>


Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings Tool".
It was set to "Run from My Computer". I changed it to "Not Available",
performed the update, and got the confirmation: "Office 2003 has been updated
"successfully."

Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted. Upon login
with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"nass" wrote:


> To Enable the Language Bar on the Regional Settings try this:

And why do I want to enable something that I have no desire to use? If I
have found a(nother) bug in MS's XP Pro, then I am about ready to leave it at
that.

I may have to just settle for 25 .bin files being (re)deposited in a temp
directory every time they get deleted.



> I presume you have a GPO been set, did you ty to changes this on the user

I don't know what "GPO" means.

This is a standalone computer with 5 user accounts, no groups, no profiles.


> configuration Templates, by typing in the Run command :
> gpedit.msc click [OK]
> On the Group Policy click under Administrative Templates:
> [&] Administrative Templates
> [ - ] Control Panel
> [ - ] Regional and Languages Settings see in the right Pane/Window
> what been set for the users or the group of users.
>


I found a "Regional and Language Options" choice under User Configuration >
Administrative Templates > Control Panel. "Group Policy" (which was under
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System) had no such option.
Did I pick the correct one?

For the one I found, "Restrict selection of Windows menus and dialog
language" state is "Not Configured". The Explain tab contained:

"This setting restricts users to the specified language by disabling the
menus and dialog box controls in the Regional and Language Options Control
Panel. If the specified language is not installed on the target computer, the
language selection defaults to English."


> Also have a look under:
> [&] Local computer policy
> [-] Computer Configuration
> [-] Windows Settings
> [-] Security Settings
> [-] Local Policy.

I have no idea what I am looking for.


> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883262


The document is tilted: "The new language locales that are supported by
Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005"

I really do NOT see why I should be trying this when the goal was to simply
get rid of the files that shouldn't belong there. I think I might just have
to throw in the towel on this one and live with it.

My only other thought is to re-install winXP Pro to a different disk on the
same computer, and then try to figure out at what point during the
re-installing of programs, the 25 .bin files start getting placed into the
temp folder. But I am really using way more time than I should be for the
issue, which definitely has no easy solution.
Back to top
nass
External


Since: May 01, 2006
Posts: 3658



PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

By Enabling the Language Bar I meant to get active as you mentioned in your
previous post that it is disabled so you can reset the Configuration.
It is best to Leave as it is or if it is bothering you do a clean install,
but are you sure your computer clean from Malwares/Viruses?.
Try to delete them and Turn System Restore OFF and Reboot your computer then
see if they will come back.
If you tend to do clean install Back up your Data and other Users and do
clean install, here is a link for that if you need it:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

BTW:GPO stand for Group Policy which you have, if you set up users with
Permission and privileges as Admin,Limited user or Guest account.
Regards,
nass
-----
www.nasstec.co.uk


"remay" wrote:

>
>
> "nass" wrote:
>
>
> > To Enable the Language Bar on the Regional Settings try this:
>
> And why do I want to enable something that I have no desire to use? If I
> have found a(nother) bug in MS's XP Pro, then I am about ready to leave it at
> that.
>
> I may have to just settle for 25 .bin files being (re)deposited in a temp
> directory every time they get deleted.
>
>
>
> > I presume you have a GPO been set, did you ty to changes this on the user
>
> I don't know what "GPO" means.
>
> This is a standalone computer with 5 user accounts, no groups, no profiles.
>
>
> > configuration Templates, by typing in the Run command :
> > gpedit.msc click [OK]
> > On the Group Policy click under Administrative Templates:
> > [&] Administrative Templates
> > [ - ] Control Panel
> > [ - ] Regional and Languages Settings see in the right Pane/Window
> > what been set for the users or the group of users.
> >
>
>
> I found a "Regional and Language Options" choice under User Configuration >
> Administrative Templates > Control Panel. "Group Policy" (which was under
> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System) had no such option.
> Did I pick the correct one?
>
> For the one I found, "Restrict selection of Windows menus and dialog
> language" state is "Not Configured". The Explain tab contained:
>
> "This setting restricts users to the specified language by disabling the
> menus and dialog box controls in the Regional and Language Options Control
> Panel. If the specified language is not installed on the target computer, the
> language selection defaults to English."
>
>
> > Also have a look under:
> > [&] Local computer policy
> > [-] Computer Configuration
> > [-] Windows Settings
> > [-] Security Settings
> > [-] Local Policy.
>
> I have no idea what I am looking for.
>
>
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883262
>
>
> The document is tilted: "The new language locales that are supported by
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005"
>
> I really do NOT see why I should be trying this when the goal was to simply
> get rid of the files that shouldn't belong there. I think I might just have
> to throw in the towel on this one and live with it.
>
> My only other thought is to re-install winXP Pro to a different disk on the
> same computer, and then try to figure out at what point during the
> re-installing of programs, the 25 .bin files start getting placed into the
> temp folder. But I am really using way more time than I should be for the
> issue, which definitely has no easy solution.
>
>
Back to top
NewScience
External


Since: Aug 07, 2006
Posts: 935



PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In order to track this down, I would pick a user and test:

1. Reboot
2. Login
3. Check for temp files
4. Logoff

1. Reboot
2. Login as same user
3. Check for temp files
4. If none, get e-mail
5. Check for temp files
6. If none, go to internet
7. Check for temp files
8. If none, Open an office document
9. Check for temp files
10. If none, close Office document
11. Check for temp files
12. If none, try another Office application
13. Try each Office application, check for temp files, close office
application, check for temp files

If none of these create the .bin files, then it is some other application
that all you users use.
If it shows up after just logging in, then it is and application in a
Startup group or in the system Startup registry keys.

"remay" wrote in message

>> > In Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, I clicked Change for Office
>> > Pro
>> > Edition 2003. Then did "Add or Remove Features". Then checked the box
>> > "Choose
>> > advanced customization of applications".
>> >
>> > Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings
>> > Tool".
>> > It was set to "Run from My Computer".
>> >
>> > Under "Under Office Shared Features", there was an option called
>> > "International Support" where Universal and Syriac fonts were marked as
>> > "not
>> > available", and Japanese font was marked as "Installed on First Use".
>> >
>> >
>
>
> "NewScience" wrote:
>
>> If it was set to Run from my computer then it IS installed for Language
>> Settings Bar.
>>
>
>
> Under "Office Tools", there was an option titled "Language Settings Tool".
> It was set to "Run from My Computer". I changed it to "Not Available",
> performed the update, and got the confirmation: "Office 2003 has been
> updated
> "successfully."
>
> Then I removed the 25 files in the temp folder, and rebooted. Upon login
> with the same user, the files were back in the temp folder.
>
>
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"NewScience" wrote:

> If it shows up after just logging in, then it is and application in a
> Startup group or in the system Startup registry keys.
>

The files have always been created immediately upon login by any user.

Ok, your last suggestion has narrowed it down. I ran msconfig and changed
from "Normal Startup" to "Diagnostic Startup", rebooted, and the files no
longer showed up immediately after logging in as any user (which is when they
were appearing even with no programs in the Startup folder).

When I went back to "Normal Startup", the files showed up again after
reboot/login.
I can now try to narrow down which program is the culprit, but I have spent
way more time on this than I wanted, so I will try it some other day.

Here's what's in msconfig's Startup tab:
ALCMTR.EXE
ccApp
GhostTray
PSDrvCheck
qttask
RTHDCPL.EXE
SkyTel.EXE
jusched
ViewMgr

If it is not one of those, I may need to check the Services tab of msconfig,
but that looks like a painfully long process for little gain, other than the
satisfaction of not having the files there.

Thanks for the assistance.
Back to top
Blades
External


Since: Dec 04, 2006
Posts: 28



PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Well, I do have an idea you could try. File Monitor will show you what's
accessing the files, so the only problem becomes running the program
before you log on.

The answer? Fast user switching. Log on as one user (with administrator
powers), run File Monitor, and set the include filter to "*bin*" (w/o
quotes, of course). Then switch out and log on as another user, and you
should have your offending program.

remay wrote:
> "NewScience" wrote:
>
>> If it shows up after just logging in, then it is and application in a
>> Startup group or in the system Startup registry keys.
>>
>
> The files have always been created immediately upon login by any user.
>
> Ok, your last suggestion has narrowed it down. I ran msconfig and changed
> from "Normal Startup" to "Diagnostic Startup", rebooted, and the files no
> longer showed up immediately after logging in as any user (which is when they
> were appearing even with no programs in the Startup folder).
>
> When I went back to "Normal Startup", the files showed up again after
> reboot/login.
> I can now try to narrow down which program is the culprit, but I have spent
> way more time on this than I wanted, so I will try it some other day.
>
> Here's what's in msconfig's Startup tab:
> ALCMTR.EXE
> ccApp
> GhostTray
> PSDrvCheck
> qttask
> RTHDCPL.EXE
> SkyTel.EXE
> jusched
> ViewMgr
>
> If it is not one of those, I may need to check the Services tab of msconfig,
> but that looks like a painfully long process for little gain, other than the
> satisfaction of not having the files there.
>
> Thanks for the assistance.
>
Back to top
Blades
External


Since: Dec 04, 2006
Posts: 28



PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Oh yeah, you can pick up File Monitor from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx

Blades wrote:
> Well, I do have an idea you could try. File Monitor will show you what's
> accessing the files, so the only problem becomes running the program
> before you log on.
>
> The answer? Fast user switching. Log on as one user (with administrator
> powers), run File Monitor, and set the include filter to "*bin*" (w/o
> quotes, of course). Then switch out and log on as another user, and you
> should have your offending program.
>
> remay wrote:
> . . .
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Blades" wrote:

> > Well, I do have an idea you could try. File Monitor will show you what's
> > accessing the files, so the only problem becomes running the program
> > before you log on.
> >
> > The answer? Fast user switching. Log on as one user (with administrator
> > powers), run File Monitor, and set the include filter to "*bin*" (w/o
> > quotes, of course). Then switch out and log on as another user, and you
> > should have your offending program.


FIlemon didn't capture the file being created (I caught the file being
opened in Explorer, but that was too late), but I downloaded process monitor

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

and it DID show an Arabic.bin file "created". The "offending" process
appears to be rthdcpl.exe (Realtek HD Audio Control Panel).

I appreciate the tip on doing a "Switch User". I would not have thought of
that!

I started the procmon program after deleting the files, then switched user,
brought up Explorer, saw the files had been created, logged out and back on
as the orignial user, and spotted the file "creation" in the procmon output.

Thanks.
Back to top
remay
External


Since: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: RE: WinXP Pro - cannot get rid of language .bin files in temp fold [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

See my last response to the post by "Blades" for the "root cause".

Thanks for the assistance.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Help & Support All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum