hidden hit counter
Help!

Wallpaper WON'T change - not CAN'T.

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Customize RSS
Next:  notification area icons not showing up  
Author Message
andy.v.hua
External


Since: Jan 13, 2007
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Wallpaper WON'T change - not CAN'T.
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>customize (more info?)

There's a subtle difference with my predicament.

I'm not unable to change my wallpaper, it does change, but it's as if
it lies 'underneath' my current wallpaper, only to be seen once i log
off and log back in, or restart the computer.

I've tried enabling/disabling my desktop (i think?).

I'm running windows xp.

The computer appears to 'work' when i click OK or apply to change the
wallpaper, but no change is seen. Once i log off or restart the
computer, the new wallpaper has is seen. If i want to change it
again, i have to repeat the process.
Simply clicking refresh on the desktop does not solve this.

I downloaded the SmitFraudFix and it seems to work, and i will be able
to change the wallpaper with instant results, but after i reboot, i'll
have to run smitfraudfix again to change my wallpaper. What's going
on?

I hope with the knowledge of what SmitFraudFix does physically to
files, someone can help. I read that smitfraud generates a warning
message about an infection on your system in the form of a wallpaper
(?) and urges you to buy corrupt software or something, but i have no
such messages. there appears to be absolutely no problems with my
computer, other than the wallpaper not changing.

Please help.
Back to top
Smoker
External


Since: Jan 01, 2007
Posts: 55



PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wallpaper WON'T change - not CAN'T. [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wrote in message

> There's a subtle difference with my predicament.
>
> I'm not unable to change my wallpaper, it does change, but it's as if
> it lies 'underneath' my current wallpaper, only to be seen once i log
> off and log back in, or restart the computer.
>
> I've tried enabling/disabling my desktop (i think?).
>
> I'm running windows xp.
>
> The computer appears to 'work' when i click OK or apply to change the
> wallpaper, but no change is seen. Once i log off or restart the
> computer, the new wallpaper has is seen. If i want to change it
> again, i have to repeat the process.
> Simply clicking refresh on the desktop does not solve this.
>
> I downloaded the SmitFraudFix and it seems to work, and i will be able
> to change the wallpaper with instant results, but after i reboot, i'll
> have to run smitfraudfix again to change my wallpaper. What's going
> on?
>
> I hope with the knowledge of what SmitFraudFix does physically to
> files, someone can help. I read that smitfraud generates a warning
> message about an infection on your system in the form of a wallpaper
> (?) and urges you to buy corrupt software or something, but i have no
> such messages. there appears to be absolutely no problems with my
> computer, other than the wallpaper not changing.
>
Never heard of the Smit thing. Most of us have used the free Irfanview
because it is handy for nearly everything graphic www.irfanview.com

It will open your graphic and set it as wallpaper and keep it there. It's
possibly the best free app on the Internet.
Back to top
andy.v.hua
External


Since: Jan 13, 2007
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wallpaper WON'T change - not CAN'T. [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Jan 28, 4:13 am, "Smoker" wrote:
> wrote in message
>
>
>
>
>
> > There's a subtle difference with my predicament.
>
> > I'm not unable to change mywallpaper, it does change, but it's as if
> > it lies 'underneath' my currentwallpaper, only to be seen once i log
> > off and log back in, or restart the computer.
>
> > I've tried enabling/disabling my desktop (i think?).
>
> > I'm running windows xp.
>
> > The computer appears to 'work' when i click OK or apply to change the
> >wallpaper, but no change is seen. Once i log off or restart the
> > computer, the newwallpaperhas is seen. If i want to change it
> > again, i have to repeat the process.
> > Simply clicking refresh on the desktop does not solve this.
>
> > I downloaded the SmitFraudFix and it seems to work, and i will be able
> > to change thewallpaperwith instant results, but after i reboot, i'll
> > have to run smitfraudfix again to change mywallpaper. What's going
> > on?
>
> > I hope with the knowledge of what SmitFraudFix does physically to
> > files, someone can help. I read that smitfraud generates a warning
> > message about an infection on your system in the form of awallpaper
> > (?) and urges you to buy corrupt software or something, but i have no
> > such messages. there appears to be absolutely no problems with my
> > computer, other than thewallpapernot changing.
>
> Never heard of the Smit thing. Most of us have used the free Irfanview
> because it is handy for nearly everything graphicwww.irfanview.com
>
> It will open your graphic and set it aswallpaperand keep it there. It's
> possibly the best free app on the Internet.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


I've discovered that all i have to do is show/unshow desktop icons,
which seems to be a 'stronger' type of refresh from Right-Click
Desktop>Refresh. After i show/unshow icons, i can change the
wallpaper to whatever i want. But after i log-off and log back in, or
restart the computer, i have to repeat the process.

What could be going on?
Back to top
Robert Adrian Dizon
External


Since: Oct 20, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: I had this problem and found the solution [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I had this problem for months now with my office PC and I just found the solution.

I just unchecked the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" - which is found by right-click on desktop, arrange icons by, then there.

Just thought I should share here, even if its 3 years late. I can finally change my wallpapers now.

> On Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:52 AM andy.v.hu wrote:

> There's a subtle difference with my predicament.
>
> I'm not unable to change my wallpaper, it does change, but it's as if
> it lies 'underneath' my current wallpaper, only to be seen once i log
> off and log back in, or restart the computer.
>
> I've tried enabling/disabling my desktop (i think?).
>
> I'm running windows xp.
>
> The computer appears to 'work' when i click OK or apply to change the
> wallpaper, but no change is seen. Once i log off or restart the
> computer, the new wallpaper has is seen. If i want to change it
> again, i have to repeat the process.
> Simply clicking refresh on the desktop does not solve this.
>
> I downloaded the SmitFraudFix and it seems to work, and i will be able
> to change the wallpaper with instant results, but after i reboot, i'll
> have to run smitfraudfix again to change my wallpaper. What's going
> on?
>
> I hope with the knowledge of what SmitFraudFix does physically to
> files, someone can help. I read that smitfraud generates a warning
> message about an infection on your system in the form of a wallpaper
> (?) and urges you to buy corrupt software or something, but i have no
> such messages. there appears to be absolutely no problems with my
> computer, other than the wallpaper not changing.
>
> Please help.


>> On Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:13 PM Smoker wrote:

>> wrote in message
>>
>> Never heard of the Smit thing. Most of us have used the free Irfanview
>> because it is handy for nearly everything graphic www.irfanview.com
>>
>> It will open your graphic and set it as wallpaper and keep it there. It's
>> possibly the best free app on the Internet.


>>> On Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:39 PM andy.v.hu wrote:

>>> On Jan 28, 4:13 am, "Smoker" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I've discovered that all i have to do is show/unshow desktop icons,
>>> which seems to be a 'stronger' type of refresh from Right-Click
>>> Desktop>Refresh. After i show/unshow icons, i can change the
>>> wallpaper to whatever i want. But after i log-off and log back in, or
>>> restart the computer, i have to repeat the process.
>>>
>>> What could be going on?


>>>> On Friday, February 16, 2007 11:20 PM Darcy wrote:

>>>> Hi, I had the exact same problem where my wallpaper stayed the solid colour, nothing I found worked except this, Right Click on desktop > Properties > Themes Tab then in the drop down box restore it to the original "Windows XP" theme then apply, then back to they way you want it with your own picture and it worked properly for me this time. Hope this helped someone =]


>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>>>> Flat file Database with LINQ and ASP.NET jQuery Page Methods
>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/c8c43191-c3a3-4c61-801a-2433a701f4f6/flat-file-database-with-linq-and-aspnet-jquery-page-methods.aspx
Back to top
Dick Burns
External


Since: Oct 20, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: I had this problem and found the solution [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Ignorant Deadhead Egghead..replying to a post from 2007 and changing the
subject. Do you really think the OP is coming back to see your reply? And,
how would he find it since you changed the subject.


"Robert Adrian Dizon" wrote in message

>I had this problem for months now with my office PC and I just found the
>solution.
>
> I just unchecked the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" - which is found by
> right-click on desktop, arrange icons by, then there.
>
> Just thought I should share here, even if its 3 years late. I can finally
> change my wallpapers now.
>
>> On Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:52 AM andy.v.hu wrote:
>
>> There's a subtle difference with my predicament.
>>
>> I'm not unable to change my wallpaper, it does change, but it's as if
>> it lies 'underneath' my current wallpaper, only to be seen once i log
>> off and log back in, or restart the computer.
>>
>> I've tried enabling/disabling my desktop (i think?).
>>
>> I'm running windows xp.
>>
>> The computer appears to 'work' when i click OK or apply to change the
>> wallpaper, but no change is seen. Once i log off or restart the
>> computer, the new wallpaper has is seen. If i want to change it
>> again, i have to repeat the process.
>> Simply clicking refresh on the desktop does not solve this.
>>
>> I downloaded the SmitFraudFix and it seems to work, and i will be able
>> to change the wallpaper with instant results, but after i reboot, i'll
>> have to run smitfraudfix again to change my wallpaper. What's going
>> on?
>>
>> I hope with the knowledge of what SmitFraudFix does physically to
>> files, someone can help. I read that smitfraud generates a warning
>> message about an infection on your system in the form of a wallpaper
>> (?) and urges you to buy corrupt software or something, but i have no
>> such messages. there appears to be absolutely no problems with my
>> computer, other than the wallpaper not changing.
>>
>> Please help.
>
>
>>> On Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:13 PM Smoker wrote:
>
>>> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Never heard of the Smit thing. Most of us have used the free Irfanview
>>> because it is handy for nearly everything graphic www.irfanview.com
>>>
>>> It will open your graphic and set it as wallpaper and keep it there.
>>> It's
>>> possibly the best free app on the Internet.
>
>
>>>> On Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:39 PM andy.v.hu wrote:
>
>>>> On Jan 28, 4:13 am, "Smoker" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I've discovered that all i have to do is show/unshow desktop icons,
>>>> which seems to be a 'stronger' type of refresh from Right-Click
>>>> Desktop>Refresh. After i show/unshow icons, i can change the
>>>> wallpaper to whatever i want. But after i log-off and log back in, or
>>>> restart the computer, i have to repeat the process.
>>>>
>>>> What could be going on?
>
>
>>>>> On Friday, February 16, 2007 11:20 PM Darcy wrote:
>
>>>>> Hi, I had the exact same problem where my wallpaper stayed the solid
>>>>> colour, nothing I found worked except this, Right Click on desktop >
>>>>> Properties > Themes Tab then in the drop down box restore it to the
>>>>> original "Windows XP" theme then apply, then back to they way you want
>>>>> it with your own picture and it worked properly for me this time. Hope
>>>>> this helped someone =]
>
>
>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>>>>> Flat file Database with LINQ and ASP.NET jQuery Page Methods
>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/c8c43191-c3a3-4c61-801a-2433a701f4f6/flat-file-database-with-linq-and-aspnet-jquery-page-methods.aspx
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Customize All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum