hidden hit counter
Help!

What is Remote Downlevel Document

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Print & Fax RSS
Next:  Most recently used programs not displaying  
Author Message
lasso
External


Since: May 15, 2005
Posts: 25



PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: What is Remote Downlevel Document
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>print_fax (more info?)

I have a HP laserjet printer connected to my PC and share it for other user.
recently I found it always generate many unuseful print task named Remote
Downlevel Document. Once this kind of task exists the printer can not print
anymore. I must delete spool file to clean these Remote Downlevel Documents.
So what is Remte Downlevel Document?
Why does it comes from? Is it cause by virus? I found these tasks were sent
by some domain users on the other LAN.
Back to top
Paul Baker
External


Since: Nov 03, 2005
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Remote Downlevel Document [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

If a DOS program, or any other program that prints to a port instead of
starting a print job using the Windows Print Spooler directly, prints to a
port on which you have a printer is installed, it will be redirected to that
print queue. Since it has no name for the print job, just data to the port,
it calls it "Remote Downlevel Document".

A search of the KB for "Remote Downlevel Document" would have answered your
questions.

This explains what it is:

Print Jobs to Windows NT Servers Named "Remote Downlevel Doc."
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;134779

This explains that it could be a virus:

Zero-Byte Remote Downlevel Documents Appear in Print Queue
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312015

If someone could be printing from a DOS program, or any other program that
prints to a port, then that is something to look into. If not, it could very
well be a virus.

Paul

"lasso" wrote in message

>I have a HP laserjet printer connected to my PC and share it for other
>user.
> recently I found it always generate many unuseful print task named Remote
> Downlevel Document. Once this kind of task exists the printer can not
> print
> anymore. I must delete spool file to clean these Remote Downlevel
> Documents.
> So what is Remte Downlevel Document?
> Why does it comes from? Is it cause by virus? I found these tasks were
> sent
> by some domain users on the other LAN.
Back to top
lasso
External


Since: May 15, 2005
Posts: 25



PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is Remote Downlevel Document [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

thank you very much.

"Paul Baker" wrote:

> If a DOS program, or any other program that prints to a port instead of
> starting a print job using the Windows Print Spooler directly, prints to a
> port on which you have a printer is installed, it will be redirected to that
> print queue. Since it has no name for the print job, just data to the port,
> it calls it "Remote Downlevel Document".
>
> A search of the KB for "Remote Downlevel Document" would have answered your
> questions.
>
> This explains what it is:
>
> Print Jobs to Windows NT Servers Named "Remote Downlevel Doc."
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;134779
>
> This explains that it could be a virus:
>
> Zero-Byte Remote Downlevel Documents Appear in Print Queue
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312015
>
> If someone could be printing from a DOS program, or any other program that
> prints to a port, then that is something to look into. If not, it could very
> well be a virus.
>
> Paul
>
> "lasso" wrote in message
>
> >I have a HP laserjet printer connected to my PC and share it for other
> >user.
> > recently I found it always generate many unuseful print task named Remote
> > Downlevel Document. Once this kind of task exists the printer can not
> > print
> > anymore. I must delete spool file to clean these Remote Downlevel
> > Documents.
> > So what is Remte Downlevel Document?
> > Why does it comes from? Is it cause by virus? I found these tasks were
> > sent
> > by some domain users on the other LAN.
>
>
>
Back to top
Paul Baker
External


Since: Nov 03, 2005
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Remote Downlevel Document [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

You're welcome. Did you ever figure out the source of these documents?

Paul

"lasso" wrote in message

> thank you very much.
>
> "Paul Baker" wrote:
>
>> If a DOS program, or any other program that prints to a port instead of
>> starting a print job using the Windows Print Spooler directly, prints to
>> a
>> port on which you have a printer is installed, it will be redirected to
>> that
>> print queue. Since it has no name for the print job, just data to the
>> port,
>> it calls it "Remote Downlevel Document".
>>
>> A search of the KB for "Remote Downlevel Document" would have answered
>> your
>> questions.
>>
>> This explains what it is:
>>
>> Print Jobs to Windows NT Servers Named "Remote Downlevel Doc."
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;134779
>>
>> This explains that it could be a virus:
>>
>> Zero-Byte Remote Downlevel Documents Appear in Print Queue
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312015
>>
>> If someone could be printing from a DOS program, or any other program
>> that
>> prints to a port, then that is something to look into. If not, it could
>> very
>> well be a virus.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> "lasso" wrote in message
>>
>> >I have a HP laserjet printer connected to my PC and share it for other
>> >user.
>> > recently I found it always generate many unuseful print task named
>> > Remote
>> > Downlevel Document. Once this kind of task exists the printer can not
>> > print
>> > anymore. I must delete spool file to clean these Remote Downlevel
>> > Documents.
>> > So what is Remte Downlevel Document?
>> > Why does it comes from? Is it cause by virus? I found these tasks were
>> > sent
>> > by some domain users on the other LAN.
>>
>>
>>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Print & Fax All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum