hidden hit counter
Help!

PPTP over SSH or SSL?

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Work Remotely RSS
Next:  Offline Folders Parameter Incorrect  
Author Message
nick.pend
External


Since: Feb 23, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: PPTP over SSH or SSL?
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>work_remotely (more info?)

I am interested in a point-to-point VPN, using two Windows XP
computers. However, I would like stronger encryption than PPTP
provides.

Is it possible to tunnel PPTP over SSH or SSL? (Perhaps over Stunnel
http://www.stunnel.org/)
Can any kind of network traffic go over PPTP? Both UDP and TCP?
If so, will I experience significant problems from having TCP embedded
in TCP? (http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html)

The closest I've seen describing this is PPP over SSL, at the Stunnel
site: http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html.

Thanks!
Back to top
Sooner Al [MVP]
External


Since: Feb 03, 2005
Posts: 1508



PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PPTP over SSH or SSL? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wrote in message

>I am interested in a point-to-point VPN, using two Windows XP
> computers. However, I would like stronger encryption than PPTP
> provides.
>
> Is it possible to tunnel PPTP over SSH or SSL? (Perhaps over Stunnel
> http://www.stunnel.org/)
> Can any kind of network traffic go over PPTP? Both UDP and TCP?
> If so, will I experience significant problems from having TCP embedded
> in TCP? (http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html)
>
> The closest I've seen describing this is PPP over SSL, at the Stunnel
> site: http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html.
>
> Thanks!
>

I suggest looking at OpenVPN as an alternative. It works well and you can
use a cert/key protected by a strong password for authentication. I used to
run an OpenVPN server on my home XP Pro desktop and the OpenVPN GUI client
on an XP Pro laptop...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/OpenVPN/OpenVPN.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
Back to top
nick.pend
External


Since: Feb 23, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PPTP over SSH or SSL? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Feb 23, 12:45 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
wrote:
> wrote in message
>
>
>
> >I am interested in a point-to-point VPN, using two Windows XP
> > computers. However, I would like stronger encryption than PPTP
> > provides.
>
> > Is it possible to tunnel PPTP over SSH or SSL? (Perhaps over Stunnel
> >http://www.stunnel.org/)
> > Can any kind of network traffic go over PPTP? Both UDP and TCP?
> > If so, will I experience significant problems from having TCP embedded
> > in TCP? (http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html)
>
> > The closest I've seen describing this is PPP over SSL, at the Stunnel
> > site: http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> I suggest looking at OpenVPN as an alternative. It works well and you can
> use a cert/key protected by a strong password for authentication. I used to
> run an OpenVPN server on my home XP Pro desktop and the OpenVPN GUI client
> on an XP Pro laptop...
I am considering that but am wanting to explore and understand my
other options. Is any kind of VPN over ssh or ssl going to do the
trick for this?


>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/OpenVPN/OpenVPN.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
Back to top
nick.pend
External


Since: Feb 23, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PPTP over SSH or SSL? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Feb 23, 12:45 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
wrote:
> wrote in message
>
>
>
> >I am interested in a point-to-point VPN, using two Windows XP
> > computers. However, I would like stronger encryption than PPTP
> > provides.
>
> > Is it possible to tunnel PPTP over SSH or SSL? (Perhaps over Stunnel
> >http://www.stunnel.org/)
> > Can any kind of network traffic go over PPTP? Both UDP and TCP?
> > If so, will I experience significant problems from having TCP embedded
> > in TCP? (http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html)
>
> > The closest I've seen describing this is PPP over SSL, at the Stunnel
> > site: http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> I suggest looking at OpenVPN as an alternative. It works well and you can
> use a cert/key protected by a strong password for authentication. I used to
> run an OpenVPN server on my home XP Pro desktop and the OpenVPN GUI client
> on an XP Pro laptop...
Al,

I am considering that but am wanting to explore and understand my
other options. Is any kind of
VPN over ssh or ssl going to do the trick for this?
Thanks,
nick

>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/OpenVPN/OpenVPN.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Work Remotely All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum