hidden hit counter
Help!

Application window position

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Configuration Manage RSS
Next:  Microphone Level  
Author Message
saganized
External


Since: Nov 10, 2006
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Application window position
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windowsxp>configuration_manage (more info?)

I have been told many times that by clicking the "X" when you exit a program,
Windows will "remember" the application window's size/position and re-open it
in the same size/position next time.

Lately though, Windows XP doesn't remember where I had Internet Explorer 7
positioned on my desktop, probably half the time. The size is correct; but
the application's window often moves approx 10-15 pixels right and down of
where it was the last time I closed it.

My Pop-up Blocker and Phishing Filter are both set to "on."

Any suggestion how I can *FORCE* Windows XP to remember where I have my IE7
browser window positioned on my desktop? Thank you in advance.
Back to top
Sharon F
External


Since: Feb 20, 2004
Posts: 4852



PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:45:02 -0800, saganized wrote:

> I have been told many times that by clicking the "X" when you exit a program,
> Windows will "remember" the application window's size/position and re-open it
> in the same size/position next time.
>
> Lately though, Windows XP doesn't remember where I had Internet Explorer 7
> positioned on my desktop, probably half the time. The size is correct; but
> the application's window often moves approx 10-15 pixels right and down of
> where it was the last time I closed it.
>
> My Pop-up Blocker and Phishing Filter are both set to "on."
>
> Any suggestion how I can *FORCE* Windows XP to remember where I have my IE7
> browser window positioned on my desktop? Thank you in advance.

It's a weakness in IE design or strength depending on how you look at it.
There are two windows remembered by IE - main launch window and secondary
window. A secondary window would be one opened using right click> new
window or a popup - usually smaller than the primary window.

The slight movement down is due to Windows design. When windows are not
fully maximized each instance is opened slightly "down" from the last
instance. The reason is to expose the title bars so that you can switch
between open windows by clicking them. I know of no way to change this
behavior.

Personally, I consistently open IE6 from my Quick Launch icon. Maximize
that window and use it to browse. Before closing, I check for secondary
windows that may be hanging around and close those. If this is not done,
the size of the popups becomes the size for IE the next time it is opened.
Finally I close the main window. Results: IE opens maximized every time
it's launched.

If you have not tried it yet, you might consider upgrading to IE7. It
includes tabbed browsing which greatly decreases - in fact, seems to
eliminate - the need to manage IE windows and window sizes.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Back to top
saganized
External


Since: Nov 10, 2006
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thank you Sharon; however, I am already using Version 7.0.5730.11 (and it's
very nice). I understand about multiple windows being open; that successive
windows will be placed a little to the right and down.

My issue can occur even when having only one browser open, with one or
multiple tabs. It happens--sometimes--if I have only one tab.
Or--sometimes--if I have several tabs open. It doesn't seem to matter either
way.

From your description, I think I do as you do; using the desktop IE icon to
open the browser. I am always cautious to close the FIRST browser I opened,
LAST (if that makes sense). That should enable the browser to open in the
same place, next time I open it, correct?

Nevertheless, oftentimes Windows XP will still not remember the browser's
last open position.

Could the IE7 Pop-up Blocker be to blame? Perhaps by allowing pop-ups that
do "sneak by" to affect how Windows XP "remembers" the browser's position?
Thanks again....


"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:45:02 -0800, saganized wrote:
>
> > I have been told many times that by clicking the "X" when you exit a program,
> > Windows will "remember" the application window's size/position and re-open it
> > in the same size/position next time.
> >
> > Lately though, Windows XP doesn't remember where I had Internet Explorer 7
> > positioned on my desktop, probably half the time. The size is correct; but
> > the application's window often moves approx 10-15 pixels right and down of
> > where it was the last time I closed it.
> >
> > My Pop-up Blocker and Phishing Filter are both set to "on."
> >
> > Any suggestion how I can *FORCE* Windows XP to remember where I have my IE7
> > browser window positioned on my desktop? Thank you in advance.
>
> It's a weakness in IE design or strength depending on how you look at it.
> There are two windows remembered by IE - main launch window and secondary
> window. A secondary window would be one opened using right click> new
> window or a popup - usually smaller than the primary window.
>
> The slight movement down is due to Windows design. When windows are not
> fully maximized each instance is opened slightly "down" from the last
> instance. The reason is to expose the title bars so that you can switch
> between open windows by clicking them. I know of no way to change this
> behavior.
>
> Personally, I consistently open IE6 from my Quick Launch icon. Maximize
> that window and use it to browse. Before closing, I check for secondary
> windows that may be hanging around and close those. If this is not done,
> the size of the popups becomes the size for IE the next time it is opened.
> Finally I close the main window. Results: IE opens maximized every time
> it's launched.
>
> If you have not tried it yet, you might consider upgrading to IE7. It
> includes tabbed browsing which greatly decreases - in fact, seems to
> eliminate - the need to manage IE windows and window sizes.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>
Back to top
Sharon F
External


Since: Feb 20, 2004
Posts: 4852



PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:42:01 -0800, saganized wrote:

> I am always cautious to close the FIRST browser I opened,
> LAST (if that makes sense). That should enable the browser to open in the
> same place, next time I open it, correct?

It will if you are using maximized or full screen. If using a custom sized
window, it will open down one "notch." That's just how Windows works.
Sorry. Sad
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Back to top
saganized
External


Since: Nov 10, 2006
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Okay, thank you, Sharon.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:42:01 -0800, saganized wrote:
>
> > I am always cautious to close the FIRST browser I opened,
> > LAST (if that makes sense). That should enable the browser to open in the
> > same place, next time I open it, correct?
>
> It will if you are using maximized or full screen. If using a custom sized
> window, it will open down one "notch." That's just how Windows works.
> Sorry. Sad
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>
Back to top
don_t_bother
External


Since: Dec 16, 2006
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Sharon F wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:42:01 -0800, saganized wrote:
>
> > I am always cautious to close the FIRST browser I opened,
> > LAST (if that makes sense). That should enable the browser to open in the
> > same place, next time I open it, correct?
>
> It will if you are using maximized or full screen. If using a custom sized
> window, it will open down one "notch." That's just how Windows works.
> Sorry. Sad
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon is missing two points: that this is not a secondary window, and
this is new behaior in IE7 (IE6 always remembered the last-closed
window position correctly).

I understand and accept the opening one notch down for a second IE
window, but why won't IE7 open in the same position as when I last
closed the last IE7 window? I have been forced to use a "special"
button on my links bar to force the window to the right half of my
screen, which is my preference. The shortcut is a simple
resize/reposition for the right half of a 1920x1600 display:
javascript:resizeTo(963,1200);moveTo(960,0)

I used the same shortcut with IE6 from time to time when my default
position was "forgotten", but now with IE7, I have to use it EVERY time
I open a browser... Why?

Thanks,
David
Back to top
charlie2



Joined: Jan 07, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Application window position [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I was able to solve this for IE7 as follows:

1. Temporarily disable tabbed browsing in IE7 and then close all instances of IE7

2. Open IE7

3. Right click any link in IE7 and select to open in new window.

4. Resize the new window to full screen (or whatever size/position you want).

5. Go back to the original IE window and select File/Exit.

6. Select the newly resized window.

7. While holding the control key, select File/Exit.

8. Test by opening a new Internet shortcut.

9. Re-enable tabbed browsing.

10. Do a final test with an Internet shortcut.

I hope this works for you!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Configuration Manage All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum