Help!

Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please H..

 
Goto page 1, 2
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Networking & Sharing RSS
Next:  DNS problem with broadband router + Vista  
Author Message
Neil
External


Since: Feb 15, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windows>vista>networking_sharing (more info?)

Hi,

I wasn't sure the proper place to post this message - here or on printing
message board - so, please forgive the potential lack of etiquette.

I am printing on a small two-computer network -- from a Vista Home Premium
Toshiba laptop to a Compaq laptop running XP. I have two HP printers
connected to the Compaq. When I connect a printer directly to the Vista
laptop, all printing functions respond normally.

However, I when try to print through the network - from the Vista laptop via
wireless or lan cable - the following occurs:

When I send a Word document to print it can take as long 15 or seconds or
more for the print dialog box to appear. When you press OK to print - it is
delayed another few seconds. If I make a minor change in the Word document
and then try to print again, the printing dialog box takes about half the
time to appear - around 6-7 seconds.

I get the same response when I go to look at the page setup settings in
Word. It takes 10 - 15 seconds for the page setup dialog box to appear.
Interestingly, once it appears - I can close it and when I try to open it
again, it will open immediately.

Can someone please make suggestions or recommend settings changes I can make
so that I can print normally from the Vista machine on the network?
--
Thank you,
Neil


--
Neil
Back to top
Jay
External


Since: Jun 30, 2006
Posts: 48



PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: RE: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Neil,

We have exactly the same problem and have found no solution. Printing Vista
to XP is slow. Vista to Vista is fine.

Jay

"Neil" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wasn't sure the proper place to post this message - here or on printing
> message board - so, please forgive the potential lack of etiquette.
>
> I am printing on a small two-computer network -- from a Vista Home Premium
> Toshiba laptop to a Compaq laptop running XP. I have two HP printers
> connected to the Compaq. When I connect a printer directly to the Vista
> laptop, all printing functions respond normally.
>
> However, I when try to print through the network - from the Vista laptop via
> wireless or lan cable - the following occurs:
>
> When I send a Word document to print it can take as long 15 or seconds or
> more for the print dialog box to appear. When you press OK to print - it is
> delayed another few seconds. If I make a minor change in the Word document
> and then try to print again, the printing dialog box takes about half the
> time to appear - around 6-7 seconds.
>
> I get the same response when I go to look at the page setup settings in
> Word. It takes 10 - 15 seconds for the page setup dialog box to appear.
> Interestingly, once it appears - I can close it and when I try to open it
> again, it will open immediately.
>
> Can someone please make suggestions or recommend settings changes I can make
> so that I can print normally from the Vista machine on the network?
> --
> Thank you,
> Neil
>
>
> --
> Neil
>
>
Back to top
drcjcarr
External


Since: Feb 16, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Feb 16, 6:53 am, Jay wrote:
> Neil,
>
> We have exactly the same problem and have found no solution. Printing Vista
> to XP is slow. Vista to Vista is fine.
>
> Jay
>
> "Neil" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I wasn't sure the proper place to post this message - here or on printing
> > message board - so, please forgive the potential lack of etiquette.
>
> > I am printing on a small two-computer network -- from a Vista Home Premium
> > Toshiba laptop to a Compaq laptop running XP. I have two HP printers
> > connected to the Compaq. When I connect a printer directly to the Vista
> > laptop, all printing functions respond normally.
>
> > However, I when try to print through the network - from the Vista laptop via
> > wireless or lan cable - the following occurs:
>
> > When I send a Word document to print it can take as long 15 or seconds or
> > more for the print dialog box to appear. When you press OK to print - it is
> > delayed another few seconds. If I make a minor change in the Word document
> > and then try to print again, the printing dialog box takes about half the
> > time to appear - around 6-7 seconds.
>
> > I get the same response when I go to look at the page setup settings in
> > Word. It takes 10 - 15 seconds for the page setup dialog box to appear.
> > Interestingly, once it appears - I can close it and when I try to open it
> > again, it will open immediately.
>
> > Can someone please make suggestions or recommend settings changes I can make
> > so that I can print normally from the Vista machine on the network?
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > Neil
>
> > --
> > Neil

Same thing is happening to me. Any solutions yet?
Back to top
Neil
External


Since: Feb 15, 2007
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Sorry, nothing yet that I can figure out.

Will post if I find a fix.
Neil
wrote in message

> On Feb 16, 6:53 am, Jay wrote:
>> Neil,
>>
>> We have exactly the same problem and have found no solution. Printing
>> Vista
>> to XP is slow. Vista to Vista is fine.
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> "Neil" wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I wasn't sure the proper place to post this message - here or on
>> > printing
>> > message board - so, please forgive the potential lack of etiquette.
>>
>> > I am printing on a small two-computer network -- from a Vista Home
>> > Premium
>> > Toshiba laptop to a Compaq laptop running XP. I have two HP printers
>> > connected to the Compaq. When I connect a printer directly to the
>> > Vista
>> > laptop, all printing functions respond normally.
>>
>> > However, I when try to print through the network - from the Vista
>> > laptop via
>> > wireless or lan cable - the following occurs:
>>
>> > When I send a Word document to print it can take as long 15 or seconds
>> > or
>> > more for the print dialog box to appear. When you press OK to print -
>> > it is
>> > delayed another few seconds. If I make a minor change in the Word
>> > document
>> > and then try to print again, the printing dialog box takes about half
>> > the
>> > time to appear - around 6-7 seconds.
>>
>> > I get the same response when I go to look at the page setup settings in
>> > Word. It takes 10 - 15 seconds for the page setup dialog box to
>> > appear.
>> > Interestingly, once it appears - I can close it and when I try to open
>> > it
>> > again, it will open immediately.
>>
>> > Can someone please make suggestions or recommend settings changes I can
>> > make
>> > so that I can print normally from the Vista machine on the network?
>> > --
>> > Thank you,
>> > Neil
>>
>> > --
>> > Neil
>
> Same thing is happening to me. Any solutions yet?
>
Back to top
Guy
External


Since: Mar 24, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I had the same problem using a Lexmark 1200 Series printer attached to a
computer using XP. My remote network computer is running Vista.
Printing would take as long as 7 minutes for a small document.

I downloaded a Vista driver from the Lexmark web site and installed it
on the XP computer and it installed and printed/scanned, etc. just
fine. Then I installed it on the Vista computer. Now everything
prints fast even from other network computers running XP.

You may want to check the web site for your particular printer
manufacturer.

Good luck.
Guy


--
Guy
Back to top
vsk



Joined: Apr 12, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

There is a simple solution for that, try to disable tcp/ip (v6) in network properties. et voilá.... back to fast printing again... eheheheh
regards.....
Back to top
dustin
External


Since: Apr 22, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windows>vista>networking_sharing (more info?)

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is epc and the
printer name is 8250 so I typed in \\epc\8250


--
dustin
Back to top
Ramaekers_archit



Joined: May 03, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP [Login to view extended thread Info.]

We 've another solution:
go the the configuration screen on your Vista computer; printers; add a new printer and then:
1. chose: ''add a local printer;
2. chose: 'new port'
3. chose 'localport'
4. type path to the networkprinter e.g. : \\someXPcomputer\HP6500
5. print to this printer
works fine...

regards, Renaat Ramaekers
Back to top
heyberk



Joined: May 22, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Excellent solution [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Tricking Vista into thinking it is local is the perfect solution. Thanks a lot. Works perfectly.
Back to top
pumuki



Joined: Jun 05, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

hi, i have setup a network form my main desktop (running on xp) to my laptop (running on vista)...
I can open the shared files on my desktop (viewing laptop files) but not the other way around ???????
Also please could some one tell me how to print, from my vista running laptop to my desktop (xp) via the ntwork i have created. When i try to add my printer it is not in the drop down list of printers???????
IM not too goo on computers so could you explain in a understandable way!
MANY THANKS
Please reply im in desperate need of help..... Many thanks
Regards
JOSH!!!
Back to top
heyberk



Joined: May 22, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

On your Vista, make sure that you have made the printer shareable.
On Vista:
Open "printers and faxes"
Right click the printer, then click "properties"
Click the "shating" tab, then click "share this printer" and give it a name.
click "okay"
Back to top
Dave from Brisbane
External


Since: Jun 30, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windows>vista>networking_sharing (more info?)

Dustin - this is excellent advice! Solved my problem completely.

I have a Canon LBP 3000 at home on a network, and at the office 'straight
in' via USB. The home printer took a minute or so for the print dialogue to
appear, several minutes to be able to click on the OK button, and several
minutes further for output. At the office this was instant.

Your solution has got me back to a desired outcome: just seconds on the home
network. Well done - have a coffee on me!

Dave

"dustin" wrote:

>
> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
> the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
> the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is epc and the
> printer name is 8250 so I typed in \\epc\8250
>
>
> --
> dustin
>
Back to top
Gregg
External


Since: Sep 27, 2006
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please Help [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I was having the same issue with my HP Officejet d145. Adding the printer
this way fixed my issue with the print dialog being slow enough to be a
productivity drain (60 seconds + to get something printed).

It's not exactly my favorite way of setting up a printer, but, hey - it
works! I'm guessing it was a problem with the XP drivers getting copied to
vista or something... *shrug*

Thanks bundles!

"dustin" wrote:

>
> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
> the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
> the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is epc and the
> printer name is 8250 so I typed in \\epc\8250
>
>
> --
> dustin
>
Back to top
arizonacathy



Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I tried this and got the message "The network name cannot be found". I used \\DESKTOP\hp psc2200 - DESKTOP is the name of the computer that has XP. Help?
Back to top
XMNR



Joined: Dec 15, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Dustin - Cheers!
Looks like you have the solution I've been seeking - Just replaced an HP9000 with a Dell to escape offshore support - but that's another story.

Anyway, the message when trying to assign "\\USER-BFABB50DCD\hp4215" in the local box results in "the network path was not found"

Darned if it doesn't look like it should be! Both XP & Vista are set to MSHOME, can read/write to each other and look good in every other respect.

Have you a hint as to what is askew?

Again, thanks & regards!
Back to top
XMNR



Joined: Dec 15, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Sorry - realized there might be some details of value:

- from Dell Laptop, Vista Business

- through 802.11-N D-Link router and/or maybe Netgear PLC extenders (depending on location)

- to IBM NetVista running XP Pro, where the HP 4215 is connected.
Back to top
PeterWeb



Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: HP printer? Try their Universal Printer Driver - works! [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I had precisely the same kind of symptoms with my default Vista printer installation for our network-connected HP 4250PS.

And when I went to HP's site and ran a printer driver check, it reported me as being completely up to date.

However, I read that the Universal Printer Driver HP now offers (which supports our laserjet) should work well, so downloaded the Vista64 install package and, sure enough, using the printer object it adds is nice and quick again.

Worth a thought for those in a similar situation. Drivers!
Back to top
fredg



Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I've got 2 Vista machines networked. I've tried defining the localport with the network name, etc. My problem had been that my Epson CX4200 could take 100-180 seconds to get itself together. My Konical 1350W laser was quicker, but very slow.

I believe it has to do with STANDBY or HIBERNATE. After the machine with the printers wakes up from STANDBY or HIBERNATE, the response problems start. Has anyone looked into that as a possible source of the problem? I know for an absolute fact, that when the machine with the printers is rebooted after waking up, then the normal network sharing process works just fine. So does the localport with the network name, but I find that unsatisfying, to say the least.

The problem did NOT occur when the printers were on the Vista machine (they still are), and the accessing machine was XP.
Back to top
HowiePS



Joined: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Word is slow to start, print, or load documents

I have Office 2007 on Vista Home Premium. Vista was connected to a networked printer through an XP machine, and print spooling was painfully slowww on the Vista machine only when using Office 2007. The Print spooler worked great for all non-Office applications. I was happy that the solution was so easy: Remove the printer. Add the printer. Don't connect to it as a network printer; but rather as a local port pointed to the network printer.

This is the solution that worked for me:
(I basically used the 'XP solution' described in the link below on my Vista machine)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280821

Hope it Helps
Back to top
fredg



Joined: Feb 21, 2008
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Printing Response on Network - Vista to XP - Please [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I thought I had the problem solved, but it came back after a few days. I never had an issue when my XP laptop communicated wirelessly to my Vista Desktop PC.

Now that the laptop is Vista, it ALSO has IPV6 installed. Once I dsabled IPV6, the performance problems went away. I believe it's a Vista IPV6 issue, after all.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Networking & Sharing All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2
Page 1 of 2

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum