Help!

replace current shapes by other shape

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Creating Shapes RSS
Next:  Finding network shapes  
Author Message
michiel
External


Since: Sep 07, 2003
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: replace current shapes by other shape
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>visio>createshapes (more info?)

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I started to use Visio 2000. As I am still
learning I have got a basic question which, by the way, is
as far as I could see not answered in the Visio Help
function:

How can I quickly change a chosen shape for a new shape? I
have already typed in the text etc and connected the
shapes into a complete flow chart of many pages long.
Could I do this also simultanuously? Or do I have to start
all over again?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Michiel
Back to top
Chris Roth
External


Since: Sep 11, 2003
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: replace current shapes by other shape [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

First, you need to find the local, or "Document Stencil", which holds master
shapes for the current document. These masters are copied into the document
you are working on when you drag and drop a shape. For Visio 2000, I think
it's under Window > Document Stencil. (2002, 2003 it's under File > Shapes >
Show Document Stencil )

Now, find the master you are interested in changing and double-click to open
it. You can modify the master, or change it completely. The shapes on the
page inherit from this master, and will inherit your changes. However, if
you change things "too much", you may lose some information, since it will
be ambigous as to what exactly should be inherited.

I leave it to you to experiment...

--
Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP
visioguy@hotmail.kom


"michiel" wrote in message

 > Hi All,
 >
 > A few weeks ago I started to use Visio 2000. As I am still
 > learning I have got a basic question which, by the way, is
 > as far as I could see not answered in the Visio Help
 > function:
 >
 > How can I quickly change a chosen shape for a new shape? I
 > have already typed in the text etc and connected the
 > shapes into a complete flow chart of many pages long.
 > Could I do this also simultanuously? Or do I have to start
 > all over again?
 >
 > Thanks a lot for your help,
 >
 > Michiel
Back to top
michiel
External


Since: Sep 07, 2003
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: replace current shapes by other shape [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks a lot, Chris,

I managed to change the shape but lost the text that I
typed in originaly. Is this right? Or is there a
possibility to keep the text and change the shape only, by
editing the master?

 >-----Original Message-----
 >First, you need to find the local, or "Document Stencil",
which holds master
 >shapes for the current document. These masters are copied
into the document
 >you are working on when you drag and drop a shape. For
Visio 2000, I think
 >it's under Window > Document Stencil. (2002, 2003 it's
under File > Shapes >
 >Show Document Stencil )
 >
 >Now, find the master you are interested in changing and
double-click to open
 >it. You can modify the master, or change it completely.
The shapes on the
 >page inherit from this master, and will inherit your
changes. However, if
 >you change things "too much", you may lose some
information, since it will
 >be ambigous as to what exactly should be inherited.
 >
 >I leave it to you to experiment...
 >
 >--
 >Hope this helps,
 >
 >Chris Roth
 >Visio MVP

 >
 >

message

  >> Hi All,
  >>
  >> A few weeks ago I started to use Visio 2000. As I am
still
  >> learning I have got a basic question which, by the way,
is
  >> as far as I could see not answered in the Visio Help
  >> function:
  >>
  >> How can I quickly change a chosen shape for a new
shape? I
  >> have already typed in the text etc and connected the
  >> shapes into a complete flow chart of many pages long.
  >> Could I do this also simultanuously? Or do I have to
start
  >> all over again?
  >>
  >> Thanks a lot for your help,
  >>
  >> Michiel
 >
 >
 >.
 >
Back to top
Chris Roth
External


Since: Sep 11, 2003
Posts: 9



PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: replace current shapes by other shape [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Yeah, the more you replace, the more you lose.

If you create shapes as groups, and put the text on the "outside", ie: at
the group level, then it might be easier to change the "guts" of the group
without losing so much information. (Edit > Open Group to edit inside of a
group)

Or, for non-groups, see if you can simple edit the vertices with the pencil
or line tool, instead of deleting/replacing the entire contents of the
master.

--

Hope this helps,

Chris Roth
Visio MVP

visioguy@hotmail.kom

Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm


"michiel" wrote in message

 > Thanks a lot, Chris,
 >
 > I managed to change the shape but lost the text that I
 > typed in originaly. Is this right? Or is there a
 > possibility to keep the text and change the shape only, by
 > editing the master?
 >
  > >-----Original Message-----
  > >First, you need to find the local, or "Document Stencil",
 > which holds master
  > >shapes for the current document. These masters are copied
 > into the document
  > >you are working on when you drag and drop a shape. For
 > Visio 2000, I think
  > >it's under Window > Document Stencil. (2002, 2003 it's
 > under File > Shapes >
  > >Show Document Stencil )
  > >
  > >Now, find the master you are interested in changing and
 > double-click to open
  > >it. You can modify the master, or change it completely.
 > The shapes on the
  > >page inherit from this master, and will inherit your
 > changes. However, if
  > >you change things "too much", you may lose some
 > information, since it will
  > >be ambigous as to what exactly should be inherited.
  > >
  > >I leave it to you to experiment...
  > >
  > >--
  > >Hope this helps,
  > >
  > >Chris Roth
  > >Visio MVP

  > >
  > >

 > message

   > >> Hi All,
   > >>
   > >> A few weeks ago I started to use Visio 2000. As I am
 > still
   > >> learning I have got a basic question which, by the way,
 > is
   > >> as far as I could see not answered in the Visio Help
   > >> function:
   > >>
   > >> How can I quickly change a chosen shape for a new
 > shape? I
   > >> have already typed in the text etc and connected the
   > >> shapes into a complete flow chart of many pages long.
   > >> Could I do this also simultanuously? Or do I have to
 > start
   > >> all over again?
   > >>
   > >> Thanks a lot for your help,
   > >>
   > >> Michiel
  > >
  > >
  > >.
  > >
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Creating Shapes All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum