Help!

What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc...

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Document Management RSS
Next:  Difficulty Using MS Word 2007 - How to 'Undo'  
Author Message
ak_edm
External


Since: May 20, 2009
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc...
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>docmanagement (more info?)

Hi,

Now I know that some that look like an envelope are just an envelope, but
what about the ones that look like...well I wish I could post some photos but
I cannot here. Anyway look through the symbols tab and when you come across
symbols you dont understand, well those are the ones I'm asking about. Any
list defining them?

Thanks

Like in the SYMBOL window type in "104" into the character code box. What
does that one mean? Or how about code 155? 209? And that kind of stuff in
that font and other "symbol" fonts.
Back to top
JoAnn Paules
External


Since: Feb 09, 2007
Posts: 776



PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Character map.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"


"ak_edm" wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Now I know that some that look like an envelope are just an envelope, but
> what about the ones that look like...well I wish I could post some photos
> but
> I cannot here. Anyway look through the symbols tab and when you come
> across
> symbols you dont understand, well those are the ones I'm asking about.
> Any
> list defining them?
>
> Thanks
>
> Like in the SYMBOL window type in "104" into the character code box. What
> does that one mean? Or how about code 155? 209? And that kind of stuff
> in
> that font and other "symbol" fonts.
Back to top
ak_edm
External


Since: May 20, 2009
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thank you. A character map works in font styles like Arial and it's very
helpful. Thank you for the tip. What about the unusual symbols found in
Wingdings and the Symbol fonts? The character map only gives come sort of
counter as a description. Thank you.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> Character map.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>
>
> "ak_edm" wrote in message
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now I know that some that look like an envelope are just an envelope, but
> > what about the ones that look like...well I wish I could post some photos
> > but
> > I cannot here. Anyway look through the symbols tab and when you come
> > across
> > symbols you dont understand, well those are the ones I'm asking about.
> > Any
> > list defining them?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Like in the SYMBOL window type in "104" into the character code box. What
> > does that one mean? Or how about code 155? 209? And that kind of stuff
> > in
> > that font and other "symbol" fonts.
>
>
>
Back to top
Suzanne S. Barnhill
External


Since: Sep 26, 2003
Posts: 24483



PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

104 is the Greek lowercase eta; there is no 155 in the Symbol font; 209 is
evidently called "nabla." If you install the Arial Unicode MS font, you can
find most of these same symbols, with IDs, in the appropriate character sets
(Basic Greek, Mathematical Operators), or you can look at the Unicode
character charts online.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"ak_edm" wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Now I know that some that look like an envelope are just an envelope, but
> what about the ones that look like...well I wish I could post some photos
> but
> I cannot here. Anyway look through the symbols tab and when you come
> across
> symbols you dont understand, well those are the ones I'm asking about.
> Any
> list defining them?
>
> Thanks
>
> Like in the SYMBOL window type in "104" into the character code box. What
> does that one mean? Or how about code 155? 209? And that kind of stuff
> in
> that font and other "symbol" fonts.
>
Back to top
JoAnn Paules
External


Since: Jan 23, 2009
Posts: 67



PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do the symbols mean in Wingdings, Symbol fonts etc... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

It shows all fonts, even symbol fonts.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"



"ak_edm" wrote in message

> Thank you. A character map works in font styles like Arial and it's very
> helpful. Thank you for the tip. What about the unusual symbols found in
> Wingdings and the Symbol fonts? The character map only gives come sort of
> counter as a description. Thank you.
>
> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> Character map.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>
>>
>> "ak_edm" wrote in message
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Now I know that some that look like an envelope are just an envelope,
>> > but
>> > what about the ones that look like...well I wish I could post some
>> > photos
>> > but
>> > I cannot here. Anyway look through the symbols tab and when you come
>> > across
>> > symbols you dont understand, well those are the ones I'm asking about.
>> > Any
>> > list defining them?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Like in the SYMBOL window type in "104" into the character code box.
>> > What
>> > does that one mean? Or how about code 155? 209? And that kind of
>> > stuff
>> > in
>> > that font and other "symbol" fonts.
>>
>>
>>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Document Management All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum