Help!

Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Application Errors RSS
Next:  MSN spell check  
Author Message
Andrew O.
External


Since: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>application>errors (more info?)

I've studied this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686

And this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/827099

It did not help. What happened:

My Windows XP decided that a security update that it just installed is
more important than the documents I've been working all - so, it
rebooted my system without permission while I was away from the
computer (BTW, where should I report this?).

I was working on a few files, some of them were temporary and I did
not save them at all. When I started Word, I had no recovery pane. In
my "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder I have .asd files
for the two documents that I did not save ("AutoRecovery save of
Document3.asd", etc.) and the .asd file for one document that I had a
previously saved copy of.

According to the docs above, I renamed each of these files to .wbk and
tried to open them. Word said it cannot open it because it is of an
unsupported file type.

I wonder if this is somehow related to the special super reboot
feature that XP does when having installed a crucial security update
that probably couldn't wait until I save my files... sorry for the
emotions... or it is a problem with Word 2007 (I have always trusted
the autorecover feature in previous versions of Word).

BTW, the same problem occured with my Excel 2007 - no autorecovery
pane, new data in a saved file was lost.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Back to top
Andrew O.
External


Since: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Just an update. Read this in one of the MS docs:

"Manually saving your file is the surest way to preserve the work you
have done."

This is a good advice. A better one is to use pen and paper. Smile
Back to top
Suzanne S. Barnhill
External


Since: Sep 26, 2003
Posts: 24483



PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

The best advice is never to leave an unsaved document open when you leave
the computer unattended. If you have any control over Windows Automatic
Updates, set updates to be semi-automatic (Notify rather than full Auto),
and Windows will not be able to restart your computer without your
permission.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Andrew O." wrote in message

> Just an update. Read this in one of the MS docs:
>
> "Manually saving your file is the surest way to preserve the work you
> have done."
>
> This is a good advice. A better one is to use pen and paper. Smile
>
Back to top
Andrew O.
External


Since: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Hi Suzanne,


Thank you for your comments. Not to leave unsaved documents is a great
advice - but I'm never going to be able to follow it all times, simply
because I'm human and sometimes I just forget. Computers are to help
me out, not to create problems. Another reason is that in some
versions of Word Ctrl+S does not work (replaced with Shift+F12 or
something).

I have re-set the updates to semi-automatic, thanks.

Getting back to the problem, I would still like to point out the Word
2007 does not behave according to the documentation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686

"When you start Word, it searches for any .asd files. If Word finds
any, it does the following..."

It should rename these files into .wbk and "start with the Document
Recovery Task Pane listing the available files that Word recovered" -
just as it always used to do in good old versions of Office. In my
case Word 2007 does nothing. The .asd files from the previous crash
are still there. Today, I had another crash - I found a new .asd file
in the "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder and, this time,
I was able to restore my document.

>From log of my crash (contains info on Word version):

ID: 0, Application Name: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version:
12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session
lasted 1133639 seconds with 25140 seconds of active time. This
session ended with a crash.

I'm not sure if today's crash was caused by the auto updates system -
I found logs about some updates in the system's event log, but there
was no notification (i.e. "Windows has installed very critical updates
on your system...") when I logged on to my system.

Thanks,
Andrew


On Mar 24, 7:12 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> The best advice is never to leave an unsaved document open when you leave
> the computer unattended. If you have any control over Windows Automatic
> Updates, set updates to be semi-automatic (Notify rather than full Auto),
> and Windows will not be able to restart your computer without your
> permission.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
> all may benefit.
Back to top
Terry Farrell
External


Since: Dec 08, 2003
Posts: 1640



PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I'm not aware that any Windows version of Word ever excluded Ctrl+S for
saving as a default. This is a Windows-wide command along with Ctrl+C,V,X
for copy/paste,cut.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Andrew O." wrote in message

> Hi Suzanne,
>
>
> Thank you for your comments. Not to leave unsaved documents is a great
> advice - but I'm never going to be able to follow it all times, simply
> because I'm human and sometimes I just forget. Computers are to help
> me out, not to create problems. Another reason is that in some
> versions of Word Ctrl+S does not work (replaced with Shift+F12 or
> something).
>
> I have re-set the updates to semi-automatic, thanks.
>
> Getting back to the problem, I would still like to point out the Word
> 2007 does not behave according to the documentation:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686
>
> "When you start Word, it searches for any .asd files. If Word finds
> any, it does the following..."
>
> It should rename these files into .wbk and "start with the Document
> Recovery Task Pane listing the available files that Word recovered" -
> just as it always used to do in good old versions of Office. In my
> case Word 2007 does nothing. The .asd files from the previous crash
> are still there. Today, I had another crash - I found a new .asd file
> in the "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder and, this time,
> I was able to restore my document.
>
>>From log of my crash (contains info on Word version):
>
> ID: 0, Application Name: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version:
> 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session
> lasted 1133639 seconds with 25140 seconds of active time. This
> session ended with a crash.
>
> I'm not sure if today's crash was caused by the auto updates system -
> I found logs about some updates in the system's event log, but there
> was no notification (i.e. "Windows has installed very critical updates
> on your system...") when I logged on to my system.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
>
> On Mar 24, 7:12 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>> The best advice is never to leave an unsaved document open when you leave
>> the computer unattended. If you have any control over Windows Automatic
>> Updates, set updates to be semi-automatic (Notify rather than full Auto),
>> and Windows will not be able to restart your computer without your
>> permission.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
>> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
>> so
>> all may benefit.
>
Back to top
Suzanne S. Barnhill
External


Since: Sep 26, 2003
Posts: 24483



PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In addition, if you have Automatic Updates set to "notify," you should not
be getting any updates installed without your permission.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message

> I'm not aware that any Windows version of Word ever excluded Ctrl+S for
> saving as a default. This is a Windows-wide command along with Ctrl+C,V,X
> for copy/paste,cut.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP
>
> "Andrew O." wrote in message
>
> > Hi Suzanne,
> >
> >
> > Thank you for your comments. Not to leave unsaved documents is a great
> > advice - but I'm never going to be able to follow it all times, simply
> > because I'm human and sometimes I just forget. Computers are to help
> > me out, not to create problems. Another reason is that in some
> > versions of Word Ctrl+S does not work (replaced with Shift+F12 or
> > something).
> >
> > I have re-set the updates to semi-automatic, thanks.
> >
> > Getting back to the problem, I would still like to point out the Word
> > 2007 does not behave according to the documentation:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686
> >
> > "When you start Word, it searches for any .asd files. If Word finds
> > any, it does the following..."
> >
> > It should rename these files into .wbk and "start with the Document
> > Recovery Task Pane listing the available files that Word recovered" -
> > just as it always used to do in good old versions of Office. In my
> > case Word 2007 does nothing. The .asd files from the previous crash
> > are still there. Today, I had another crash - I found a new .asd file
> > in the "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder and, this time,
> > I was able to restore my document.
> >
> >>From log of my crash (contains info on Word version):
> >
> > ID: 0, Application Name: Microsoft Office Word, Application Version:
> > 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session
> > lasted 1133639 seconds with 25140 seconds of active time. This
> > session ended with a crash.
> >
> > I'm not sure if today's crash was caused by the auto updates system -
> > I found logs about some updates in the system's event log, but there
> > was no notification (i.e. "Windows has installed very critical updates
> > on your system...") when I logged on to my system.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrew
> >
> >
> > On Mar 24, 7:12 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
> >> The best advice is never to leave an unsaved document open when you
leave
> >> the computer unattended. If you have any control over Windows Automatic
> >> Updates, set updates to be semi-automatic (Notify rather than full
Auto),
> >> and Windows will not be able to restart your computer without your
> >> permission.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type
> >> Fairhope, Alabama USAWordMVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
> >> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
> >> so
> >> all may benefit.
> >
>
Back to top
kyletmarshall



Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Andrew O. wrote:
I've studied this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686

And this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/827099

It did not help. What happened:

My Windows XP decided that a security update that it just installed is
more important than the documents I've been working all - so, it
rebooted my system without permission while I was away from the
computer (BTW, where should I report this?).

I was working on a few files, some of them were temporary and I did
not save them at all. When I started Word, I had no recovery pane. In
my "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder I have .asd files
for the two documents that I did not save ("AutoRecovery save of
Document3.asd", etc.) and the .asd file for one document that I had a
previously saved copy of.

According to the docs above, I renamed each of these files to .wbk and
tried to open them. Word said it cannot open it because it is of an
unsupported file type.

I wonder if this is somehow related to the special super reboot
feature that XP does when having installed a crucial security update
that probably couldn't wait until I save my files... sorry for the
emotions... or it is a problem with Word 2007 (I have always trusted
the autorecover feature in previous versions of Word).

BTW, the same problem occured with my Excel 2007 - no autorecovery
pane, new data in a saved file was lost.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.


Hey, i had the same problem and i figured it out.

ok heres what i did.

i emailed my .asd file to a friend with and older version of word (xp) and tried to open the file.

it said it couldnt open the file when i tried. that i needed to download a decoder. i clicked the link and there was no decoder there, so i tried something else that worked!!

when i was going to click the open button on the .asd file, i clicked the down arrow to the right of the button, and clicked open and repair. first i got the same error as before, but then another window popped up and asked me if i would like to open it as plain text. i did that, and even though there was a bunch of gibberish around, the main text of my document was there.

hope this helps.

ps: the rest of you people on this server are a**holes it needed to be said. telling him he should save more is not good advice. hes trying to recover his document, and if you dont have any advice for him that will help him do that, keep your stupid smart a** comments to yourself. its not helping anyone.
Back to top
bugmenot



Joined: Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 109



PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Solution [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Though a little late, I feel the real solution to the problem should be posted. Office 2007 saves documents in their original formats, but it changes the extension to asd. Somehow the various office programs do not realize that they are opening a regular document with a less common extension (Micr$hit scripting, I guess).

Anyway, the solution is to just rename the extension to whatever it was. So for a word document, rename the file to FILENAME.doc (or .docx, depending on what it was). The same goes for an excel document, just rename it to FILNAME.xls (or .xlsx).

Cheers...
Back to top
Steve R
External


Since: Aug 23, 2006
Posts: 21



PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Cannot open .asd/.wbk file with Word 2007 [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>application>errors (more info?)

I encountered the same precise problem today, but with different facts.
My WORD 2007 document was not closed without my permission.
Rather, after editing, I attempted as CTRL+S save, and WORD 2007 responded
that there was some "problem" encountered and then asked if I wished to save
my work as a Rescue.asd file.

I responded "Yes."

When I went to open up the Rescue.asd file, however, WORD 2007 responded
that the "asd" format was not supported by WORD 2007.

I closed WORD 2007, reopened it and attempted to access both of the
documents anew and encountered the same response.

I rebooted; reopened WORD 2007 and the original document, which DID reopen,
without any of the edits I had done previously.

On the other hand, WORD 2007 will not recognize the Rescue.asd document at
all, still indicating that it is not a supported format.

HELP!!!

Should I transfer the Rescue.asd file to another computer with 2003 on it
and attempt that open? (document was originally saved as a docx file).

Sad

Steve R in San Diego on June 26, 2007 Tuesday 1:38 PM Pacific Time
--
Steve R


"Andrew O." wrote:

> I've studied this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686
>
> And this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/827099
>
> It did not help. What happened:
>
> My Windows XP decided that a security update that it just installed is
> more important than the documents I've been working all - so, it
> rebooted my system without permission while I was away from the
> computer (BTW, where should I report this?).
>
> I was working on a few files, some of them were temporary and I did
> not save them at all. When I started Word, I had no recovery pane. In
> my "...\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\.." folder I have .asd files
> for the two documents that I did not save ("AutoRecovery save of
> Document3.asd", etc.) and the .asd file for one document that I had a
> previously saved copy of.
>
> According to the docs above, I renamed each of these files to .wbk and
> tried to open them. Word said it cannot open it because it is of an
> unsupported file type.
>
> I wonder if this is somehow related to the special super reboot
> feature that XP does when having installed a crucial security update
> that probably couldn't wait until I save my files... sorry for the
> emotions... or it is a problem with Word 2007 (I have always trusted
> the autorecover feature in previous versions of Word).
>
> BTW, the same problem occured with my Excel 2007 - no autorecovery
> pane, new data in a saved file was lost.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
>
Back to top
koco45



Joined: Jun 09, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

I encounter same problem but changing to filename.docx did not work for me, I got same error again.

On the other hand, Openoffice has no problem with opening *.asd files, but be aware, you will lose some formatting.

You can download Openoffice for free at [url]http://www.openoffice.org/ [/url], then open *.asd file and save it as *.doc.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Application Errors All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum