Help!

How do I move a paragraph from below to above another para..

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> New Users RSS
Next:  screen tips as hyperlinks / bookmarks  
Author Message
Scarlett
External


Since: Jun 23, 2009
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>newusers (more info?)

How do I re-position a paragraph above another?
Back to top
Graham Mayor
External


Since: Jul 04, 2006
Posts: 4874



PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Cut and paste.
or
Select the whole paragraph and drag it to the new position.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


"Scarlett" wrote in message

> How do I re-position a paragraph above another?
>
Back to top
Jay Freedman
External


Since: Sep 16, 2003
Posts: 2367



PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

And one more, which is probably not well known:

Put the cursor anywhere in the paragraph and press Alt+Shift+arrow key (up
or down).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Graham Mayor wrote:
> Cut and paste.
> or
> Select the whole paragraph and drag it to the new position.
>
> "Scarlett" wrote in message
>
>> How do I re-position a paragraph above another?
Back to top
Stefan Blom
External


Since: May 08, 2009
Posts: 542



PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they might
lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline view,
even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



"Jay Freedman" wrote in message

> And one more, which is probably not well known:
>
> Put the cursor anywhere in the paragraph and press Alt+Shift+arrow key (up
> or down).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so all may benefit.
>
> Graham Mayor wrote:
>> Cut and paste.
>> or
>> Select the whole paragraph and drag it to the new position.
>>
>> "Scarlett" wrote in message
>>
>>> How do I re-position a paragraph above another?
>
>
Back to top
Sesquipedalian Sam
External


Since: Apr 01, 2009
Posts: 21



PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:31:21 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

>But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they might
>lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline view,
>even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).

The Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow shortcut is probably one of the top three
shortcuts in Word. I bet I use it more than any other; even more than
Ctrl+C/X/V and Ctrl+B/I/U. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps
this such a secret.

As you point out, there can be some unexpected results.

1. If you don't always run with all levels expanded, then only use it
in Outline view. If you do, then you are fine.

2. In Outline view, it can be used to move whole sections. Just
collapse the outline level to the level you want to move and it will
take everything at a lower level with it. Just don't forget to
re-expand before leaving Outline view.

3. It cannot move text outside a table through a table. But it can
move a table through text. So, if you need to move a paragraph across
a table, move the table instead.

This tool should be documented and featured.
Back to top
Stefan Blom
External


Since: May 08, 2009
Posts: 542



PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

It might very well be documented, but Help is not very useful in recent
versions of Word. This is especially true when you search Help: many
irrelevant matches are returned. Sad

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP



"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:31:21 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
> wrote:
>
>>But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they
>>might
>>lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline
>>view,
>>even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).
>
> The Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow shortcut is probably one of the top three
> shortcuts in Word. I bet I use it more than any other; even more than
> Ctrl+C/X/V and Ctrl+B/I/U. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps
> this such a secret.
>
> As you point out, there can be some unexpected results.
>
> 1. If you don't always run with all levels expanded, then only use it
> in Outline view. If you do, then you are fine.
>
> 2. In Outline view, it can be used to move whole sections. Just
> collapse the outline level to the level you want to move and it will
> take everything at a lower level with it. Just don't forget to
> re-expand before leaving Outline view.
>
> 3. It cannot move text outside a table through a table. But it can
> move a table through text. So, if you need to move a paragraph across
> a table, move the table instead.
>
> This tool should be documented and featured.
Back to top
Sesquipedalian Sam
External


Since: Apr 01, 2009
Posts: 21



PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:14 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

>It might very well be documented, but Help is not very useful in recent
>versions of Word. This is especially true when you search Help: many
>irrelevant matches are returned. Sad

Care to take a crack at finding any official (let alone comprehensive
or even half-way complete) documentation?

Help was never excellent and it has steadily deteriorated to the point
that it is now mostly a perverse obstacle course, if not a torture
chamber.
Back to top
Suzanne S. Barnhill
External


Since: Sep 26, 2003
Posts: 24483



PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Is it the shortcut you want documented or the use in outline view? If the
latter, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm. If the
former, there's a list (not very helpfully arranged) of all keyboard
shortcuts at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290938. A more helpful
categorization (similar to what is offered in Word 2003 Help) is at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211982 (this is very exhaustive and even
includes shortcuts that are not in Help).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:45:14 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
> wrote:
>
>>It might very well be documented, but Help is not very useful in recent
>>versions of Word. This is especially true when you search Help: many
>>irrelevant matches are returned. Sad
>
> Care to take a crack at finding any official (let alone comprehensive
> or even half-way complete) documentation?
>
> Help was never excellent and it has steadily deteriorated to the point
> that it is now mostly a perverse obstacle course, if not a torture
> chamber.
>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> New Users All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum