Help!

How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text?

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Conversions RSS
Next:  When linking to HP QuickPlay in Ppt, I get video ..  
Author Message
R.S.Lynn
External


Since: Aug 27, 2005
Posts: 15



PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text?
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>conversions (more info?)

I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and end
with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can I
insert a Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a character?

In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.

How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or word
processor text?
Back to top
R.S.Lynn
External


Since: Aug 27, 2005
Posts: 15



PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I entered alt 0 1 2 8 and got ?. When I read my message "round trip," the
Euro symbol was changed to question mark. How come?

I still want to know about BS.

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message

>I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and
>end with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can I
>insert a Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a character?
>
> In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.
>
> How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or word
> processor text?
>
Back to top
Pat Garard
External


Since: Aug 15, 2006
Posts: 210



PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

G'Day R.S.

You have been badly traumatised by TTY text processing.

Word is NOT a printer - it does not process characters left to right in
sequence.

Select the text:
Format>Font
Overstrike.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message

>I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and end
>with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can I insert a
>Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a character?
>
> In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.
>
> How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or word
> processor text?
>
Back to top
R.S.Lynn
External


Since: Aug 27, 2005
Posts: 15



PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

My Microsoft Word 2003 does not have the overstrike option, as far as I have
been able to find. It does have "strikethrough" which means the same as
strikeout; draw a line though it. My WordPerfect does not seem to have an
Overstrike either.

I became a professional computer programmer in 1960. In those days, most
small computers used TTYs as the main input/output devices. We actually did
have to use "figure shift" and "letter shift" to output any character set
larger than 31 members. (5-level Baudot/Murray code; 2 to the 5th=32) As
late as 1965, when I was guest faculty at MIT, using Project MAC (q.v.)
about half of the terminals were TTYs and half were IBM Selectric
Typewriter-based.

I am still without knowledge of how to backspace, or overstrike in the
modern environment


"Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message

> G'Day R.S.
>
> You have been badly traumatised by TTY text processing.
>
> Word is NOT a printer - it does not process characters left to right in
> sequence.
>
> Select the text:
> Format>Font
> Overstrike.
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Melbourne, Australia
> _______________________
>
> "R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
>
>>I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and
>>end with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can I
>>insert a Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a character?
>>
>> In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.
>>
>> How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or
>> word processor text?
>>
>
>
Back to top
Herb Tyson [MVP]
External


Since: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 2152



PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I assume that you want to overstrike one character on top of another. If
that's the case, the way it's done in Word is using a field code. What you
want is the advance field, using the \l (left) switch.

For example, with field codes displayed, using 12 point type, the following:

0{advance \l5}/

will type a 0, back up 5 points horizontally, then type a /. Here, using the
Calibri font, that produces a 0 overstruck with a forward slash (/).

Press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field braces {}, then type advance \l5 between
the braces, and press F9 to update/resolve the field. (Or, choose Insert -
Field from the menu)

It likely will take some experimentation to get exactly what you want. You
might want to take a look at the Help file for additional information on
working with the advance field.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Please respond in the newsgroups so everyone can follow along.
"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message

> My Microsoft Word 2003 does not have the overstrike option, as far as I
> have been able to find. It does have "strikethrough" which means the same
> as strikeout; draw a line though it. My WordPerfect does not seem to have
> an Overstrike either.
>
> I became a professional computer programmer in 1960. In those days, most
> small computers used TTYs as the main input/output devices. We actually
> did have to use "figure shift" and "letter shift" to output any character
> set larger than 31 members. (5-level Baudot/Murray code; 2 to the 5th=32)
> As late as 1965, when I was guest faculty at MIT, using Project MAC (q.v.)
> about half of the terminals were TTYs and half were IBM Selectric
> Typewriter-based.
>
> I am still without knowledge of how to backspace, or overstrike in the
> modern environment
>
>
> "Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message
>
>> G'Day R.S.
>>
>> You have been badly traumatised by TTY text processing.
>>
>> Word is NOT a printer - it does not process characters left to right in
>> sequence.
>>
>> Select the text:
>> Format>Font
>> Overstrike.
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pat Garard
>> Melbourne, Australia
>> _______________________
>>
>> "R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
>>
>>>I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and
>>>end with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can
>>>I insert a Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a
>>>character?
>>>
>>> In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.
>>>
>>> How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or
>>> word processor text?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Back to top
Pat Garard
External


Since: Aug 15, 2006
Posts: 210



PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I insert a BS (Backspace) into text? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

G'Day again R.S.

Yes - I got it wrong - strikethrough.

I remember the Daisy Wheel with Ribbon lift for Red, underline by typing
the same line twice, overstrike ..... arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

See Herbs response re Fields, and maybe check out the following:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm
Good luck!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message

> My Microsoft Word 2003 does not have the overstrike option, as far as I have
> been able to find. It does have "strikethrough" which means the same as
> strikeout; draw a line though it. My WordPerfect does not seem to have an
> Overstrike either.
>
> I became a professional computer programmer in 1960. In those days, most
> small computers used TTYs as the main input/output devices. We actually did
> have to use "figure shift" and "letter shift" to output any character set
> larger than 31 members. (5-level Baudot/Murray code; 2 to the 5th=32) As
> late as 1965, when I was guest faculty at MIT, using Project MAC (q.v.) about
> half of the terminals were TTYs and half were IBM Selectric Typewriter-based.
>
> I am still without knowledge of how to backspace, or overstrike in the modern
> environment
>
>
> "Pat Garard" <apgarard-bigpond:net:au> wrote in message
>
>> G'Day R.S.
>>
>> You have been badly traumatised by TTY text processing.
>>
>> Word is NOT a printer - it does not process characters left to right in
>> sequence.
>>
>> Select the text:
>> Format>Font
>> Overstrike.
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Pat Garard
>> Melbourne, Australia
>> _______________________
>>
>> "R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
>>
>>>I know about the alt-zero "extended ASCII" codes, which begin with ? and end
>>>with . The alt zero 1 8 2 giving us as an example. But how can I insert
>>>a Backspace? What if I want to, in effect, overstrike a character?
>>>
>>> In TTY code, I believe that a 0x08 is a backspace.
>>>
>>> How can I overstrike a character in the text of an e-mail message, or word
>>> processor text?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Conversions All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum