Help!

excel 2007 stops responding

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Setup RSS
Next:  Download from Palm Pilot to Excel  
Author Message
MarcDS
External


Since: Mar 22, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: excel 2007 stops responding
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>excel>setup (more info?)

Hello,

I use EXCEL 2007 (UK) on Vista Home Premium (HP portable); when I open an
EXCEL-sheet created with EXCEL 2003 (at the office), everything works
allright (EXCEL opens in Compatibility mode - read only). However when I try
to save the file (SAVE AS...) EXCEL hangs (does not respond any more; the
screen gets" frozen"). Same behavior when I try to save a newly created 2007
EXCEL file as an 2003 EXCEL file.

So : no problems only when I use newly created 2007-EXCELfiles.


Somebody has an idea ? (I allready did a repair of office 2007)

Thanks
Back to top
Nick Hodge
External


Since: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 1917



PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: excel 2007 stops responding [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Marc

The file should not be read only in compatibility mode. It will be if it is
on CD but you should save this to your hard drive before opening.

Do you have Norton Anti-virus or something? Some virus scanners stop Excel
opening quickly and 'Not responding' appear very quickly on the title bar.

I use ESET Nod 32 on Vista and have used AVG Free edition...both fine with
Office

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk


"MarcDS" wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I use EXCEL 2007 (UK) on Vista Home Premium (HP portable); when I open an
> EXCEL-sheet created with EXCEL 2003 (at the office), everything works
> allright (EXCEL opens in Compatibility mode - read only). However when I
> try to save the file (SAVE AS...) EXCEL hangs (does not respond any more;
> the screen gets" frozen"). Same behavior when I try to save a newly
> created 2007 EXCEL file as an 2003 EXCEL file.
>
> So : no problems only when I use newly created 2007-EXCELfiles.
>
>
> Somebody has an idea ? (I allready did a repair of office 2007)
>
> Thanks
Back to top
Marc
External


Since: Mar 24, 2007
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: excel 2007 stops responding [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

you 're right about read only in compatibilty mode (my mistake); but I don't
see the relationship between excel and a virus-scanner.
By the way : the "stop responding"-problem also happens in WORD 2007 (now
and then)
Marc

"Nick Hodge" schreef in bericht

> Marc
>
> The file should not be read only in compatibility mode. It will be if it
> is on CD but you should save this to your hard drive before opening.
>
> Do you have Norton Anti-virus or something? Some virus scanners stop
> Excel opening quickly and 'Not responding' appear very quickly on the
> title bar.
>
> I use ESET Nod 32 on Vista and have used AVG Free edition...both fine with
> Office
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>
>
> "MarcDS" wrote in message
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use EXCEL 2007 (UK) on Vista Home Premium (HP portable); when I open an
>> EXCEL-sheet created with EXCEL 2003 (at the office), everything works
>> allright (EXCEL opens in Compatibility mode - read only). However when I
>> try to save the file (SAVE AS...) EXCEL hangs (does not respond any more;
>> the screen gets" frozen"). Same behavior when I try to save a newly
>> created 2007 EXCEL file as an 2003 EXCEL file.
>>
>> So : no problems only when I use newly created 2007-EXCELfiles.
>>
>>
>> Somebody has an idea ? (I allready did a repair of office 2007)
>>
>> Thanks
>
Back to top
Nick Hodge
External


Since: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 1917



PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: excel 2007 stops responding [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Marc

Each time there is file activity in most applications and certainly Office
applications your virus scanner *should* fire up to check it's not a rogue
file. This is *often* an issue with slow operation

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk


"Marc" wrote in message

> you 're right about read only in compatibilty mode (my mistake); but I
> don't
> see the relationship between excel and a virus-scanner.
> By the way : the "stop responding"-problem also happens in WORD 2007 (now
> and then)
> Marc
>
> "Nick Hodge" schreef in bericht
>
>> Marc
>>
>> The file should not be read only in compatibility mode. It will be if it
>> is on CD but you should save this to your hard drive before opening.
>>
>> Do you have Norton Anti-virus or something? Some virus scanners stop
>> Excel opening quickly and 'Not responding' appear very quickly on the
>> title bar.
>>
>> I use ESET Nod 32 on Vista and have used AVG Free edition...both fine
>> with Office
>>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Nick Hodge
>> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> Southampton, England
>> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
>> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>>
>>
>> "MarcDS" wrote in message
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use EXCEL 2007 (UK) on Vista Home Premium (HP portable); when I open
>>> an EXCEL-sheet created with EXCEL 2003 (at the office), everything works
>>> allright (EXCEL opens in Compatibility mode - read only). However when I
>>> try to save the file (SAVE AS...) EXCEL hangs (does not respond any
>>> more; the screen gets" frozen"). Same behavior when I try to save a
>>> newly created 2007 EXCEL file as an 2003 EXCEL file.
>>>
>>> So : no problems only when I use newly created 2007-EXCELfiles.
>>>
>>>
>>> Somebody has an idea ? (I allready did a repair of office 2007)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Setup All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum