Help!

How to attach a document in an e-mail merge

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> MailMerge Fields RSS
Next:  Word cannot find data source problem  
Author Message
SLK
External


Since: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: How to attach a document in an e-mail merge
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>word>mailmerge>fields (more info?)

I am doing an e-mail merge from word and pulling information from an excel
document. I want to attach a document (survey) that the recipient will open,
fill out and return. Can you attach a document in the body of the e-mail
merge?

The document (survey) is dynamic with fill in the blanks and selecting
appropriate boxes - therefore it must to be attached so that this feature
will work as opposed to being in the body of the e-mail. I am using the 2003
version.

Thanks for any help I can get.
Back to top
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
External


Since: Jul 14, 2006
Posts: 2843



PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to attach a document in an e-mail merge [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MergeWithAttachments.htm


--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SLK" wrote in message

>I am doing an e-mail merge from word and pulling information from an excel
> document. I want to attach a document (survey) that the recipient will
> open,
> fill out and return. Can you attach a document in the body of the e-mail
> merge?
>
> The document (survey) is dynamic with fill in the blanks and selecting
> appropriate boxes - therefore it must to be attached so that this feature
> will work as opposed to being in the body of the e-mail. I am using the
> 2003
> version.
>
> Thanks for any help I can get.
Back to top
SLK
External


Since: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 5



PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attach a document in an e-mail merge [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I was not able to follow all of these instructions completely from the link
provided. I feel like I was missing some steps. Specifically, when setting
up a Catalogue (Directory) are you suposed to create a table to put this
information into or is it suposed to pop up automatically?

Since it did not pop up that way, I created a table and was able to get the
e-mail address in cell one, however how do you get the path for the document
you want attached into the second cell? Not sure how to attach a file path
there, I simply typed in the path but feel that is not the correct thing to
do?

Once I merged it into a new document and saved it, I tried to run a macro in
my original e-mail merged document but have never used macro's before so I
really have no idea how to attach this newly created file to my original
document.

Any advice?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at
>
> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MergeWithAttachments.htm
>
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
> services on a paid consulting basis.
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> "SLK" wrote in message
>
> >I am doing an e-mail merge from word and pulling information from an excel
> > document. I want to attach a document (survey) that the recipient will
> > open,
> > fill out and return. Can you attach a document in the body of the e-mail
> > merge?
> >
> > The document (survey) is dynamic with fill in the blanks and selecting
> > appropriate boxes - therefore it must to be attached so that this feature
> > will work as opposed to being in the body of the e-mail. I am using the
> > 2003
> > version.
> >
> > Thanks for any help I can get.
>
>
>
Back to top
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
External


Since: Jul 14, 2006
Posts: 2843



PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to attach a document in an e-mail merge [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In your case, I assume that you are sending the same document to all of the
recipients. In that case, in the Catalog (or Directory) type mail merge
main document, you would insert a table into that document similar to that
as shown in the second example on the website. That is, in the first
cell,it would have the merge field from the data source that contains the
email addresses and you type the path and filename of your survey document
in the second cell. Then when you execute that merge to a new document,
that new document will contain a table with the email addresses from your
data source in the cells in column one and the path and filename of the
survey will be repeated in each cell in column 2.

Make sure that the path and filename that you type into the main document
are CORRECT even one additional or missing space will cause the file not to
be attached when you run the macro

You must follow the instructions in the article exactly if you want it to
work. The slightest deviation will result in failure.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SLK" wrote in message

>I was not able to follow all of these instructions completely from the link
> provided. I feel like I was missing some steps. Specifically, when
> setting
> up a Catalogue (Directory) are you suposed to create a table to put this
> information into or is it suposed to pop up automatically?
>
> Since it did not pop up that way, I created a table and was able to get
> the
> e-mail address in cell one, however how do you get the path for the
> document
> you want attached into the second cell? Not sure how to attach a file
> path
> there, I simply typed in the path but feel that is not the correct thing
> to
> do?
>
> Once I merged it into a new document and saved it, I tried to run a macro
> in
> my original e-mail merged document but have never used macro's before so I
> really have no idea how to attach this newly created file to my original
> document.
>
> Any advice?
>
> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at
>>
>> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MergeWithAttachments.htm
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
>> services on a paid consulting basis.
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> "SLK" wrote in message
>>
>> >I am doing an e-mail merge from word and pulling information from an
>> >excel
>> > document. I want to attach a document (survey) that the recipient will
>> > open,
>> > fill out and return. Can you attach a document in the body of the
>> > e-mail
>> > merge?
>> >
>> > The document (survey) is dynamic with fill in the blanks and selecting
>> > appropriate boxes - therefore it must to be attached so that this
>> > feature
>> > will work as opposed to being in the body of the e-mail. I am using
>> > the
>> > 2003
>> > version.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help I can get.
>>
>>
>>
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> MailMerge Fields All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum