Help!

SUM not updating automatically

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Protection Fault Errors RSS
Next:  Problem with Excel 2000 - help 3  
Author Message
Mabel
External


Since: Mar 05, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: SUM not updating automatically
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>excel>crashesgpfs (more info?)

Hi! I am using Excel 2003. I have a document with lists of numbers that are
totalled with =SUM at the bottom, such as =SUM (E4:E14) . I frequently
change the numbers in the lists throughout the day and the totals
automatically update based on my changes. I have been using this document for
weeks with no problem. As of this morning, for no reason I can determine, the
totals no longer update automatically. If I change the numbers in any list,
the sum stays the same until I enter the relevant SUM cell and exit it again.
I don't have to make any changes to it, I simply have to enter and exit it.
(I double-click, then hit Esc.) Once I do that, it corrects the total...
until the next time I change a number, and then I have to do it all over
again. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks so much!
Back to top
john
External


Since: Apr 17, 2006
Posts: 155



PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: RE: SUM not updating automatically [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

check tools>options calculation tab and calculation is set to automatic
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003
Please reply & rate any replies you get

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)


"Mabel" wrote:

> Hi! I am using Excel 2003. I have a document with lists of numbers that are
> totalled with =SUM at the bottom, such as =SUM (E4:E14) . I frequently
> change the numbers in the lists throughout the day and the totals
> automatically update based on my changes. I have been using this document for
> weeks with no problem. As of this morning, for no reason I can determine, the
> totals no longer update automatically. If I change the numbers in any list,
> the sum stays the same until I enter the relevant SUM cell and exit it again.
> I don't have to make any changes to it, I simply have to enter and exit it.
> (I double-click, then hit Esc.) Once I do that, it corrects the total...
> until the next time I change a number, and then I have to do it all over
> again. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks so much!
Back to top
Mabel
External


Since: Mar 05, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: RE: SUM not updating automatically [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

John, you're wonderful. I have no idea how that option got turned off - I've
never visited that tab in my life. But it fixed the problem - of course - and
everything's right as rain again. Thanks so much! I just love when it's an
easy fix. Wink

"john" wrote:

> check tools>options calculation tab and calculation is set to automatic
> --
> John
> MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003
> Please reply & rate any replies you get
>
> Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)
>
>
> "Mabel" wrote:
>
> > Hi! I am using Excel 2003. I have a document with lists of numbers that are
> > totalled with =SUM at the bottom, such as =SUM (E4:E14) . I frequently
> > change the numbers in the lists throughout the day and the totals
> > automatically update based on my changes. I have been using this document for
> > weeks with no problem. As of this morning, for no reason I can determine, the
> > totals no longer update automatically. If I change the numbers in any list,
> > the sum stays the same until I enter the relevant SUM cell and exit it again.
> > I don't have to make any changes to it, I simply have to enter and exit it.
> > (I double-click, then hit Esc.) Once I do that, it corrects the total...
> > until the next time I change a number, and then I have to do it all over
> > again. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks so much!
Back to top
john
External


Since: Apr 17, 2006
Posts: 155



PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: RE: SUM not updating automatically [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Glad to be able to help
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003
Please reply & rate any replies you get

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)


"Mabel" wrote:

> John, you're wonderful. I have no idea how that option got turned off - I've
> never visited that tab in my life. But it fixed the problem - of course - and
> everything's right as rain again. Thanks so much! I just love when it's an
> easy fix. Wink
>
> "john" wrote:
>
> > check tools>options calculation tab and calculation is set to automatic
> > --
> > John
> > MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003
> > Please reply & rate any replies you get
> >
> > Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)
> >
> >
> > "Mabel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi! I am using Excel 2003. I have a document with lists of numbers that are
> > > totalled with =SUM at the bottom, such as =SUM (E4:E14) . I frequently
> > > change the numbers in the lists throughout the day and the totals
> > > automatically update based on my changes. I have been using this document for
> > > weeks with no problem. As of this morning, for no reason I can determine, the
> > > totals no longer update automatically. If I change the numbers in any list,
> > > the sum stays the same until I enter the relevant SUM cell and exit it again.
> > > I don't have to make any changes to it, I simply have to enter and exit it.
> > > (I double-click, then hit Esc.) Once I do that, it corrects the total...
> > > until the next time I change a number, and then I have to do it all over
> > > again. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks so much!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Protection Fault Errors All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum