Help!

Open Excel Files as Separate Windows

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Setup RSS
Next:  Using mouse wheel in VB editor  
Author Message
Bruce
External


Since: Jul 27, 2004
Posts: 65



PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Open Excel Files as Separate Windows
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>excel>setup (more info?)

In Word, you can open 2 documents that act as completely separate programs,
being allowed to more one to a second display, etc. In Excel, how do you do
that? I don't want to have 2 files open inside of Excel, but I want to have
two totally separate instances of Excel open. Please help?!
Back to top
Dave Peterson
External


Since: Jul 08, 2005
Posts: 16264



PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Excel Files as Separate Windows [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Open the first workbook any way you want.

Start a second instance of excel.
either put a shortcut to excel.exe on your desktop and use that
or
windows start button|run
type:
excel
and hit enter

Then file|open the second workbook.

Bruce wrote:
>
> In Word, you can open 2 documents that act as completely separate programs,
> being allowed to more one to a second display, etc. In Excel, how do you do
> that? I don't want to have 2 files open inside of Excel, but I want to have
> two totally separate instances of Excel open. Please help?!

--

Dave Peterson
Back to top
Bruce
External


Since: Jul 27, 2004
Posts: 65



PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Excel Files as Separate Windows [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Yes. That works. Is there a simplier way?
-----------------

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Open the first workbook any way you want.
>
> Start a second instance of excel.
> either put a shortcut to excel.exe on your desktop and use that
> or
> windows start button|run
> type:
> excel
> and hit enter
>
> Then file|open the second workbook.
>
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > In Word, you can open 2 documents that act as completely separate programs,
> > being allowed to more one to a second display, etc. In Excel, how do you do
> > that? I don't want to have 2 files open inside of Excel, but I want to have
> > two totally separate instances of Excel open. Please help?!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
>
Back to top
Dave Peterson
External


Since: Jul 08, 2005
Posts: 16264



PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Open Excel Files as Separate Windows [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I think it's the easiest/safest...

This may help (or hurt).

If you open files by double clicking on them in windows explorer....

You could try:

Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks
that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

Or it may just open excel and not show you the file that you clicked on.

Bruce wrote:
>
> Yes. That works. Is there a simplier way?
> -----------------
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > Open the first workbook any way you want.
> >
> > Start a second instance of excel.
> > either put a shortcut to excel.exe on your desktop and use that
> > or
> > windows start button|run
> > type:
> > excel
> > and hit enter
> >
> > Then file|open the second workbook.
> >
> > Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > In Word, you can open 2 documents that act as completely separate programs,
> > > being allowed to more one to a second display, etc. In Excel, how do you do
> > > that? I don't want to have 2 files open inside of Excel, but I want to have
> > > two totally separate instances of Excel open. Please help?!
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

--

Dave Peterson
Back to top
Andrew



Joined: Jan 16, 2006
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Excel Files as Separate Windows [Login to view extended thread Info.]

By the way, there is a way to solve the "can't open if there are spaces in the filename". To get separate windows AND be able to open all files, do this:

1. In Windows Explorer, choose the Tools/Folder Options menu.
2. Click on the File Types tab
3. Scroll down and select the "XLS Microsoft Excel Worksheet" item
4. Click the "Advanced" button
5. Uncheck the "Browse in same window" option

So far this is just like what everyone has been saying...BUT, it will give you problems opening files that have spaces in them. Continue on to fix that...

6. Click on "Open" in the Actions list
7. Click the "Edit" button
8. Click in the "Application used to perform action:" box
9. Scroll to the very end. It will say something like ...EXCEL.EXE" /e %1
10. Put quotes around the %1, so it now ends with ...EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
11. Click OK twice, Close once, and you should be in business

All this does is tells the Open command to put quotes around whatever file it is told to open. Voila, no problem opening files with spaces!

-Andrew
Back to top
mikesmithfl



Joined: Oct 28, 2006
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Also - if already checked, I think you'll need to uncheck the DDE box while editing the action for that filetype. (after step 10 above)

Mike
Back to top
roont



Joined: Apr 20, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Actually, the EASIEST way to do this is to go to Tools/Options

and then click the VIEW tab, and under SHOW, select "Windows In Taskbar".

This will open each new workbook in a new window instead of grouping them all into one.
Back to top
irecord



Joined: Jun 03, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: [Login to view extended thread Info.]

Actually roont, that's wrong. All that does is show the separate workbooks on the taskbar, they are still included in the one Excel instance. Try having more than one workbook on the screen at once (without using Excels multi window functionality). Or if you have more than one physical screen, have one on one screen and one on another.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Setup All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum