Help!

Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC)

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Ports PowerPC RSS
Next:  Bug#592688: RFP: racket -- Racket is a programmin..  
Author Message
Greg Ward
External


Since: Aug 12, 2010
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC)
Archived from groups: linux>debian>ports>powerpc (more info?)

I'm trying to get squeeze working on a PowerBook G4. I installed a
basic system from a 5.0.4 netinst CD, upgraded to squeeze, and now I'm
adding the packages I actually need. Near the top of my list is
suspend/hibernate/power management stuff. I just want to be able to
put the laptop to sleep.

It looks like the package I want is acpi-support, but it depends on
acpi-fakekey, which is apparently not built for powerpc. See:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/acpi-support
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/acpi-fakekey

acpi-support is for all architectures, but acpi-fakekey only has
binary builds for amd64, i386, and ia64. What's up with that? Is
acpi-support the wrong thing to install?

Thanks --

Greg


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin-pc7GSdDsdi9ZSS-LevFjndx6-MULbvs8KWUQ@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
Sujit K M
External


Since: Aug 12, 2010
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Greg Ward wrote:
> I'm trying to get squeeze working on a PowerBook G4.  I installed a
> basic system from a 5.0.4 netinst CD, upgraded to squeeze, and now I'm
> adding the packages I actually need.  Near the top of my list is
> suspend/hibernate/power management stuff.  I just want to be able to
> put the laptop to sleep.

Could you search for "how to get special keys to work in debian"
>
> It looks like the package I want is acpi-support, but it depends on
> acpi-fakekey, which is apparently not built for powerpc.  See:
>
>  http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/acpi-support
>  http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/acpi-fakekey

That is correct.
>
> acpi-support is for all architectures, but acpi-fakekey only has
> binary builds for amd64, i386, and ia64. What's up with that?  Is
> acpi-support the wrong thing to install?

Could you build it from source.
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acpi-support/acpi-support_0.137..orig.tar.gz


>
> Thanks --
>
> Greg
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian..org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin-pc7GSdDsdi9ZSS-LevFjndx6-MULbvs8KWUQ@mail.gmail.com
>
>

Thanks,

--
-- Sujit K M

blog(http://kmsujit.blogspot.com/)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinZXT3PZ6YrLkqk+7SaES6A9feYsWk12phPYsUd@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
Greg Ward
External


Since: Aug 12, 2010
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Sujit K M wrote:
> Some thing usefull that I found.
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

?? That's about keyboard mappings from, like 8 years ago. I asked
about power management today.

I mean, yeah, it would be great if I could hit the Mac power button
and get a suspend/shutdown dialog, just like in OS X and like Gnome on
my Intel desktop PC. But fundamentally what I asked was, "what is the
equivalent of /sbin/pm-suspend when running Debian on a PPC Mac?".

So, following up Michel Dänzer's suggestion:

> Try something like pbbuttonsd / pommed / pmud.

A-ha! Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

So I installed pmud. The daemon started and immediately logged this:

Aug 12 20:16:31 kelpie pmud[1095]: pmud [treshold = 420, margin = 15] started
Aug 12 20:16:31 kelpie pmud[1095]: PMU version 12: iBook/G3 Pismo/G4 Titanium
Aug 12 20:16:31 kelpie pmud[1095]: No sleep support on this hardware, exiting!
Aug 12 20:16:31 kelpie pmud[1095]: daemon stopped (missing sleep support)

Booo. ;-(

Now I know the hardware supports sleep, since OS X can do it. [dig
dig dig] Ahh, I see that pmud has not been updated since 2001, and
its README only mentions PowerBook G3.

So: is there anyone out there running Debian on a G4 who can suspend
their machine? If so, how?

Thanks --

Greg



>
>>
>>
>> --
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin-pc7GSdDsdi9ZSS-LevFjndx6-MULbvs8KWUQ@mail.gmail.com
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> -- Sujit K M
>
> blog(http://kmsujit.blogspot.com/)
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTim09BC=mFn9Ged=L7ERp9qhfRhKPMh_bc07PJqz@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
Tom McAvaney
External


Since: Mar 23, 2010
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

> Now I know the hardware supports sleep, since OS X can do it.  [dig
> dig dig]  Ahh, I see that pmud has not been updated since 2001, and
> its README only mentions PowerBook G3.

I don't have a G4 to confirm whether this works, but this guy[1]
seemed to have suspend-to-disk working back in 2005, which looks to
require the installation of a custom pmuconf file in /etc/power.

Also, the wiki[2] seems to suggest that suspend-to-memory should be
supported out-of-the-box. Wouldn't be the first time the wiki was
wrong, though Smile

[1] http://www.ncc.up.pt/~rvr/kh/kh.html#pmuconf
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnPowerPC


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinDP6gZfG2AhZu5bNAede_V4ocAsxYjZVjSv0vr@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
nello martuscielli
External


Since: Aug 13, 2010
Posts: 4



PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Tom McAvaney wrote:
>> Now I know the hardware supports sleep, since OS X can do it.  [dig
>> dig dig]  Ahh, I see that pmud has not been updated since 2001, and
>> its README only mentions PowerBook G3.
>
> I don't have a G4 to confirm whether this works, but this guy[1]
> seemed to have suspend-to-disk working back in 2005, which looks to
> require the installation of a custom pmuconf file in /etc/power.
>
__cut_

as I know the suspend function doesn't work only on nvidia based powerbook.
And suspend 'd work on nvidia based powerbook using new kms/nouveau
kernel's features.

cheers,
Nello
--
Power Mac G4 AGP 450MHz - CRUX PPC (32bit)/DebianPPC


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTineJ4rm3fnVpVifypY-4oycxB5jWTQp80sB5LBe@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
Gary
External


Since: Jun 27, 2010
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't install acpi-support (no acpi-fakekey for PPC) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"PBButtonsd is a daemon which brings support for many Laptop specific
functions to Linux. Basically it was designed to support Apple iBooks,
Powerbooks or TiBooks but since version 0.5 the design has been
changed to support any Notebook.

>From its roots pbbuttons support Apple PowerBooks and iBooks by 100%.
Support for the new Intel based MacBooks is very new but grows
steadily. I would say we reached 70% by now. Also the support for
other intel based notebooks jumped forward by adding the ACPI support
to pbbuttonsd, but because laptop support is very hardware dependent,
I guess we have only 30% on this machines. Help to build up support
for more machines is always welcome."

http://pbbuttons.berlios.de/projects/pbbuttonsd/man-pbbuttonsd.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=zOdf9yZKJx2vWi2_FPNaBuuL7=Zya9D8cmOeF@mail.gmail.com
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Ports PowerPC All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum