Help!

Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition table..

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussions (archive 1) RSS
Next:  X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r1737 - tags..  
Author Message
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition table,
Archived from groups: comp>os>linux>misc (more info?)

I am trying to delete and create new partitions.

After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk /dev/hda
You will not be able to write the partition table.
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
Device contains neither a valid dos partition table, nor Sun, SGI, or
OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until
you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous content
won't be recoverable.

Warining : invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected
by w(rite).

How do we go about trying to change the sector size from 2048 to 512,
which will hopefully allow me to write to the partition table?

I have tried using gparted from the ubuntu live cd, although have been
unsuccessful.

Any help would be appreciated.

This has been posted on ubuntu forums and has had no luck with any
responses.
Back to top
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks Grant for the reply.

When I run fdisk /dev/sda it returns "unable to open /dev/sda".

When I run fdisk -l i dont get anything returned to let me know what
the partitions would be.

Would this have anything to do with running fdisk via the ubuntu live
cd?
Back to top
Grant
External


Since: Jan 04, 2006
Posts: 622



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 10 Apr 2006 20:06:34 -0700, wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:

>After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;

try fdisk /dev/sda, formatting the cdrom will bring little joy Wink

Grant.
--
Memory fault -- brain fried
Back to top
johnny bobby bee
External


Since: Oct 11, 2004
Posts: 185



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> I am trying to delete and create new partitions.
>
> After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;

have you tried gparted? it should be included in the live cd; if not,
use synaptic to get gparted. it has a graphical interface.

--
vuja de:
The feeling that you've *never*, *ever* been in this situation before.
Back to top
Robert Hull
External


Since: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 1219



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In comp.os.linux.misc, on Tue 11 April 2006 08:36, johnny bobby bee
wrote:

> wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
>> I am trying to delete and create new partitions.
>>
>> After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;
>
> have you tried gparted? it should be included in the live cd;

Unfortunately, your snipping was too agressive, so you didn't see where
the OP wrote:

> I have tried using gparted from the ubuntu live cd, although have been
> unsuccessful.


--
Robert HULL

Archival or publication of this article on any part of thisishull.net
is without consent and is in direct breach of the Data Protection Act
Back to top
Aragorn
External


Since: Aug 07, 2005
Posts: 1389



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 05:36, wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au stood up and spoke
the following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.misc...:/

> Thanks Grant for the reply.
>
> When I run fdisk /dev/sda it returns "unable to open /dev/sda".
>
> When I run fdisk -l i dont get anything returned to let me know what
> the partitions would be.
>
> Would this have anything to do with running fdisk via the ubuntu live
> cd?

Most likely it will have to do with that you didn't use /sudo/ or /su/
to gain root privileges... (Hint: look at the prompt in your original
post...) Wink

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
Back to top
John-Paul Stewart
External


Since: Mar 29, 2005
Posts: 1520



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> I am trying to delete and create new partitions.
>
> After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;
>
> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk /dev/hda
> You will not be able to write the partition table.
> Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
> Device contains neither a valid dos partition table, nor Sun, SGI, or
> OSF disklabel
> Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until
> you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous content
> won't be recoverable.

Those messages (especially the sector size) strongly suggest that
/dev/hda is a CD-ROM as another poster alluded to. Your follow-up to
him indicates that /dev/sda isn't your hard drive either. What do you
get when you do 'dmesg | grep hd'? Your hard drive might be /dev/hdc or
even /dev/hde (if it's on an add-in IDE controller or somesuch).
Back to top
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

John-Paul Stewart wrote:
> wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> > I am trying to delete and create new partitions.
> >
> > After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;
> >
> > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk /dev/hda
> > You will not be able to write the partition table.
> > Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
> > Device contains neither a valid dos partition table, nor Sun, SGI, or
> > OSF disklabel
> > Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until
> > you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous content
> > won't be recoverable.
>
> Those messages (especially the sector size) strongly suggest that
> /dev/hda is a CD-ROM as another poster alluded to. Your follow-up to
> him indicates that /dev/sda isn't your hard drive either. What do you
> get when you do 'dmesg | grep hd'? Your hard drive might be /dev/hdc or
> even /dev/hde (if it's on an add-in IDE controller or somesuch).

When I try 'dmsg | grep hd' it returns 'dmsg not found', i tried to do
a 'find - name dmsg' and nothing was found. Please excuse any ignorance
as I am not from a unix background and only know the bar basics to get
by.

Although after doing some more research on the web it is pointing more
and more that the disks are not being picked up or recognised due to
the sector sizes of the disk. The whole reason that I was attempting to
partition the disks via fdisk was so that the ubuntu install could
detect them, which it obviously is currently not.

Am now trying to find out whether the disk's (SCSI, Seagate Disks) are
not compatible or whether we can change the sector size??????????
Back to top
John-Paul Stewart
External


Since: Mar 29, 2005
Posts: 1520



PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> John-Paul Stewart wrote:
>
>>wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to delete and create new partitions.
>>>
>>>After running fdisk /dev/hda i receive the following messages;
>>>
>>>ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk /dev/hda
>>>You will not be able to write the partition table.
>>>Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
>>>Device contains neither a valid dos partition table, nor Sun, SGI, or
>>>OSF disklabel
>>>Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until
>>>you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous content
>>>won't be recoverable.
>>
>>Those messages (especially the sector size) strongly suggest that
>>/dev/hda is a CD-ROM as another poster alluded to. Your follow-up to
>>him indicates that /dev/sda isn't your hard drive either. What do you
>>get when you do 'dmesg | grep hd'? Your hard drive might be /dev/hdc or
>>even /dev/hde (if it's on an add-in IDE controller or somesuch).
>
>
> When I try 'dmsg | grep hd' it returns 'dmsg not found', i tried to do
> a 'find - name dmsg' and nothing was found. Please excuse any ignorance
> as I am not from a unix background and only know the bar basics to get
> by.

Sorry, typo. That's supposed to 'dmesg'. I left out a letter.

> Although after doing some more research on the web it is pointing more
> and more that the disks are not being picked up or recognised due to
> the sector sizes of the disk. The whole reason that I was attempting to
> partition the disks via fdisk was so that the ubuntu install could
> detect them, which it obviously is currently not.
>
> Am now trying to find out whether the disk's (SCSI, Seagate Disks) are
> not compatible or whether we can change the sector size??????????

Seagate does not make a current model of SCSI disk with a 2048 byte
sector size. 512 is the norm. Some hardware RAID systems use 520 or
528. Seagate doesn't currently support anything much larger than
that...certainly nowhere near 2048 bytes for disks.

If it's SCSI, it should be /dev/sda not /dev/hd?. But in your earlier
reply to Grant you indicated that 'fdisk /dev/sda' didn't work. So what
does 'dmesg | grep sd' show? How about 'dmesg | grep -i scsi' to make
sure your SCSI card is being recognized.
Back to top
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

The SCSI Controller is an adaptec aic7896. I do believe that the SCSI
controller is being detected as it is displayed when the ubuntu install
is loading. Also I have been running the install process as linux
aic7896=no_reset after following the F6 instructions for special boot
parameters for selected disk controllers.
Back to top
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Also in response to John Paul-Stewart;

The 'dmesg | grep sd' returned nothing.

The 'dmesg | grep -i scsi' returned the following;

SCSI subsystem initialized
scsi0: Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, REV 6.26
<Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra 2 SCSI Adapter>
aic7896/97 : Ultra 2 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id = 7, 32/253 Bs

scsi1: SAME RESULT AS scsi0.
Back to top
John-Paul Stewart
External


Since: Mar 29, 2005
Posts: 1520



PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> Also in response to John Paul-Stewart;
>
> The 'dmesg | grep sd' returned nothing.

Then no SCSI disks have been found. You should have seen:

SCSI device sda: 71687372 512-byte hdwr sectors (36704 MB)
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 < sda5 sda6 sda7 >
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

That info should have been repeated for sdb, sdc, ...all of your SCSI
drives. Is the 'sd' module loaded? If not, load it manually (with
modprobe).

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check cabling and termination. Make sure all
SCSI and power cables are firmly seated and that the SCSI bus is
properly terminated. There's a slight chance that it's a hardware
problem preventing the disk(s) from being detected.
Back to top
wvance
External


Since: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 6



PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu fdisk problem - unable to write the partition tab [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

John-Paul Stewart wrote:
> wvance@cs.rmit.edu.au wrote:
> > Also in response to John Paul-Stewart;
> >
> > The 'dmesg | grep sd' returned nothing.
>
> Then no SCSI disks have been found. You should have seen:
>
> SCSI device sda: 71687372 512-byte hdwr sectors (36704 MB)
> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
> sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 < sda5 sda6 sda7 >
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>
> That info should have been repeated for sdb, sdc, ...all of your SCSI
> drives. Is the 'sd' module loaded? If not, load it manually (with
> modprobe).
>
> Also, it wouldn't hurt to check cabling and termination. Make sure all
> SCSI and power cables are firmly seated and that the SCSI bus is
> properly terminated. There's a slight chance that it's a hardware
> problem preventing the disk(s) from being detected.

Thank's John, you were spot on. The problem has been solved. The server
also has a LSI MegaRAID controller which controls access to the disks.
Obviously the 5.10 ubuntu build does not support this controller, and
to prove that this was the case we loaded a build of Gentoo and it
worked first go. The MegaRAID controller was detected and the SCSI
disks were too.

A few things have been learnt from this exercise so thanks for your
help everyone.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussions (archive 1) All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum