Help!

Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussions RSS
Next:  Debugging 'hanging' userspace app  
Author Message
JL19348
External


Since: Mar 25, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick
Archived from groups: alt>os>linux>debian (more info?)

Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.

The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
silly login procedure. I don't know what I am doing and can't get it
to work. Here is what I see on my system after I plug in the USB
memory stick.

The device mounts correctly on Ubuntu (which is close to Debian so I
am posting to the Debian newsgroup), I can see the directory, I can't
write files, and I only see a few hundred K of my expected 2GB (when I
use the login tool on Windows, I see the 2GB).


What do I do? I don't want any of the factory installed software on
the USB stick, I jsut want it formatted so I see 2GB free and can
start to install an O/S. When I try to use fdisk with the USB stick
mounted or unmounted, I see
"You will not be able to write the partition table."

Why?

Thank you
John



root@ub04:/# uname -a
Linux ub04 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.17-11-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/sda on /media/LOGIN type vfat
(ro,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/# ls /dev/sda -la
brw-rw---- 1 root plugdev 8, 0 2007-03-25 16:10 /dev/sda
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/# ls /media/LOGIN -la
total 76
drwx------ 2 john john 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2007-03-25 16:10 ..
-rwx------ 1 john john 32768 2007-01-24 16:24 logintool2090.exe
-rwx------ 1 john john 24576 2007-01-24 16:24 ResEng.dll
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/# fdisk /dev/sda
You will not be able to write the partition table.
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Command (m for help): q

root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/#
root@ub04:/# umount /media/LOGIN
root@ub04:/# fdisk /dev/sda
You will not be able to write the partition table.
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Command (m for help): q

root@ub04:/#
Back to top
JL19348
External


Since: Mar 25, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mar 25, 4:26 pm, JL19...@HOTMAIL.CO.UK wrote:
> Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
>
> The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
> login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
> stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
> silly login procedure. I don't know what I am doing and can't get it
> to work. Here is what I see on my system after I plug in the USB
> memory stick.
>
> The device mounts correctly on Ubuntu (which is close to Debian so I
> am posting to the Debian newsgroup), I can see the directory, I can't
> write files, and I only see a few hundred K of my expected 2GB (when I
> use the login tool on Windows, I see the 2GB).
>
> What do I do? I don't want any of the factory installed software on
> the USB stick, I jsut want it formatted so I see 2GB free and can
> start to install an O/S. When I try to use fdisk with the USB stick
> mounted or unmounted, I see
> "You will not be able to write the partition table."
>
> Why?
>
> Thank you
> John
>
> root@ub04:/# uname -a
> Linux ub04 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/# mount
> /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
> varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
> procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.17-11-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> /dev/sda on /media/LOGIN type vfat
> (ro,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/# ls /dev/sda -la
> brw-rw---- 1 root plugdev 8, 0 2007-03-25 16:10 /dev/sda
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/# ls /media/LOGIN -la
> total 76
> drwx------ 2 john john 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2007-03-25 16:10 ..
> -rwx------ 1 john john 32768 2007-01-24 16:24 logintool2090.exe
> -rwx------ 1 john john 24576 2007-01-24 16:24 ResEng.dll
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/# fdisk /dev/sda
> You will not be able to write the partition table.
> Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
>
> Command (m for help): q
>
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/#
> root@ub04:/# umount /media/LOGIN
> root@ub04:/# fdisk /dev/sda
> You will not be able to write the partition table.
> Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
>
> Command (m for help): q
>
> root@ub04:/#



Just two more things.
1. The USB memory stick does not have a write protect switch on it.
2. When I type " fdisk /dev/sda -l" I see this (despite these errors,
everthing works in Windows but I don't want to use my meory stick on
Windows):

Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Disk /dev/sda: 1 MB, 1048576 bytes
1 heads, 2 sectors/track, 256 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2 * 2048 = 4096 bytes

This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 ? 959975480 1232194026 1088874186 20 Unknown
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(356, 97, 46) logical=(959975479, 0, 1)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(357, 116, 40) logical=(1232194025, 0, 1)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 ? 665092102 934580245 1077952576 6b Unknown
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(288, 110, 57) logical=(665092101, 0, 1)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(269, 101, 57) logical=(934580244, 0, 2)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 ? 269494696 968676152 2796725824 53 OnTrack DM6
Aux3
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(345, 32, 19) logical=(269494695, 0, 2)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(324, 77, 19) logical=(968676151, 0, 1)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda4 * 697313832 697324500 42674 49 Unknown
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(87, 1, 0) logical=(697313831, 0, 2)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(335, 78, 2) logical=(697324499, 0, 2)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order
Back to top
JL19348
External


Since: Mar 25, 2007
Posts: 3



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mar 25, 7:30 pm, Colin Wilson
wrote:
> > Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
> > The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
> > login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
> > stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
> > silly login procedure.
>
> HP made a utility to format USB drives, I think it was called DriveKey -
> worked fine on my non-HP drive...
>
> The executable i've got is called HPUSBFW.EXE

Thanks Colin. The utility appears to not work giving me the same write
protection issues. There is no write protection switch on the USB
memory stick.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

Here is what I see

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>hpusbf e: -
fs:fat32

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, Version 1.00.012 (11/13/2003)
Copyright (c) 2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

The type of the current file system is FAT.
Please enter the current volume label for E: LOGIN

WARNING! ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE E: (CBM Flash Disk 5.00) WILL BE LOST!
Are you really sure that you want to proceed with Format (Y/N)? Y

Verifying 1.00MB...
***ERROR*** IOCTL_DISK_SET_DRIVE_LAYOUT: The media is write protected.
***ERROR*** Failed to create a partition!

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>
Back to top
Colin Wilson
External


Since: Mar 19, 2007
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

> Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
> The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
> login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
> stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
> silly login procedure.

HP made a utility to format USB drives, I think it was called DriveKey -
worked fine on my non-HP drive...

The executable i've got is called HPUSBFW.EXE
Back to top
ray
External


Since: Nov 13, 2004
Posts: 3461



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:26:24 -0700, JL19348 wrote:

>
>
> Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
>
> The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
> login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
> stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
> silly login procedure. I don't know what I am doing and can't get it
> to work. Here is what I see on my system after I plug in the USB
> memory stick.
>
> The device mounts correctly on Ubuntu (which is close to Debian so I
> am posting to the Debian newsgroup), I can see the directory, I can't
> write files, and I only see a few hundred K of my expected 2GB (when I
> use the login tool on Windows, I see the 2GB).
>
>

alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Back to top
ray
External


Since: Nov 13, 2004
Posts: 3461



PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:32:55 -0700, JL19348 wrote:

> On Mar 25, 7:30 pm, Colin Wilson
> wrote:
>> > Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
>> > The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
>> > login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
>> > stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
>> > silly login procedure.
>>
>> HP made a utility to format USB drives, I think it was called DriveKey -
>> worked fine on my non-HP drive...
>>
>> The executable i've got is called HPUSBFW.EXE
>
> Thanks Colin. The utility appears to not work giving me the same write
> protection issues. There is no write protection switch on the USB
> memory stick.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> John
>
> Here is what I see
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>
> C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>hpusbf e: -
> fs:fat32
>
> HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, Version 1.00.012 (11/13/2003)
> Copyright (c) 2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
>
> The type of the current file system is FAT.
> Please enter the current volume label for E: LOGIN
>
> WARNING! ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE E: (CBM Flash Disk 5.00) WILL BE LOST!
> Are you really sure that you want to proceed with Format (Y/N)? Y
>
> Verifying 1.00MB...
> ***ERROR*** IOCTL_DISK_SET_DRIVE_LAYOUT: The media is write protected.
> ***ERROR*** Failed to create a partition!
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\DriveKey\DriveKey>

You'd need to do that as root - to format or partition in Linux. And I'd
suggest gparted. - you could try the Gparted Live CD.
Back to top
Mumia W.
External


Since: Feb 14, 2007
Posts: 19



PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Formatting & partitioning USB memory stick [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 03/25/2007 10:26 AM, JL19348@HOTMAIL.CO.UK wrote:
>
> Hi, I have just purchased a 2GB USB memory stick.
>
> The USB stick is recognised on Windows but you have to go through a
> login procedure to get access to the 2GB. I want to format the USB
> stick to boot linux and see the whole 2GB and not go through this
> silly login procedure. [...]

See if you can go through the Windows login procedure and disable the
protection using the Windows software.

Another possible option would be to go into linux fdisk (or cfdisk) and
attempt to wipe the USB stick's partition table.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> General Discussions All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum