Help!

Bug#562737: installation failed with "Starting NFS common ..

 
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Bugs Dist RSS
Next:  Bug#562735: [CRASH] Uncaught exception TypeError ..  
Author Message
Harald Dunkel
External


Since: Mar 23, 2005
Posts: 21



PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Bug#562737: installation failed with "Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!"
Archived from groups: linux>debian>bugs>dist (more info?)

Package: nfs-common
Version: 1:1.2.1-1

The installation via aptitude failed with

:
:
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.1-1) ...
Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript nfs-common, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nfs-common
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.1-1) ...
Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript nfs-common, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing nfs-common (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
nfs-common
Press return to continue.


Of course nfs isn't configured yet. Esp. "NEED_STATD" is _not_ set in
/etc/default/nfs-common, so why does it try?


Btw, /var/log/daemon.log says

:
Dec 27 15:22:50 localhost rpc.statd[23475]: Version 1.2.1 Starting
Dec 27 15:22:50 localhost sm-notify[23477]: Already notifying clients; Exiting!
Dec 27 15:22:50 localhost rpc.statd[23475]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).
:


Regards

Harri



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Bob Proulx
External


Since: Oct 25, 2004
Posts: 31



PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: linux>debian>bugs>dist, others (more info?)

found 562737 1:1.2.3-1
thanks

Seen in an update today in an otherwise fully updated Sid machine:

$ sudo apt-get install nfs-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libtirpc1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libtirpc1
The following packages will be upgraded:
nfs-common
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 349 kB of archives.
After this operation, 311 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libtirpc1 amd64 0.2.1-1 [84.2 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main nfs-common amd64 1:1.2.3-1 [265 kB]
Fetched 349 kB in 2s (141 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libtirpc1.
(Reading database ... 324385 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libtirpc1 (from .../libtirpc1_0.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
Preparing to replace nfs-common 1:1.2.2-5 (using .../nfs-common_1%3a1.2.3-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nfs-common ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up libtirpc1 (0.2.1-1) ...
Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.3-1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/nfs-common ...
Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!

And restarting manually emits:

# service nfs-common restart
Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!

Bob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Luk Claes
External


Since: May 04, 2005
Posts: 763



PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 03/28/2011 09:41 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> found 562737 1:1.2.3-1
> thanks
>
> Seen in an update today in an otherwise fully updated Sid machine:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install nfs-common
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following extra packages will be installed:
> libtirpc1
> The following NEW packages will be installed:
> libtirpc1
> The following packages will be upgraded:
> nfs-common
> 1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 349 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 311 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main libtirpc1 amd64 0.2.1-1 [84.2 kB]
> Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main nfs-common amd64 1:1.2.3-1 [265 kB]
> Fetched 349 kB in 2s (141 kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package libtirpc1.
> (Reading database ... 324385 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libtirpc1 (from .../libtirpc1_0.2.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Preparing to replace nfs-common 1:1.2.2-5 (using .../nfs-common_1%3a1.2.3-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement nfs-common ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Setting up libtirpc1 (0.2.1-1) ...
> Setting up nfs-common (1:1.2.3-1) ...
> Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/nfs-common ...
> Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
> Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
>
> And restarting manually emits:
>
> # service nfs-common restart
> Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
> Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!

Can you please add 'set -x' on the second line of /etc/init.d/nfs-common
and give the output from 'service nfs-common restart' so we get an idea
in what step it fails, TIA?

Cheers

Luk



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Luk Claes
External


Since: May 04, 2005
Posts: 763



PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 03/29/2011 12:13 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
>>> # service nfs-common restart
>>> Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
>>> Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
>>
>> Can you please add 'set -x' on the second line of /etc/init.d/nfs-common
>> and give the output from 'service nfs-common restart' so we get an idea
>> in what step it fails, TIA?
>
> It gets hidden by start-stop-daemon.
>
> + start-stop-daemon --start --oknodo --quiet --pidfile /var/run/rpc.statd.pid --exec /sbin/rpc.statd --
> + RET=1
>
> Attached is the full log trace from:
>
> # bash -x /etc/init.d/nfs-common start 2>/tmp/nfs-common.bash-x.out
> Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!
>
> Running just the rpc.statd manually gives the same result.
>
> # /sbin/rpc.statd
> # echo $?
> 1
>
> The /var/log/syslog shows:
>
> Mar 28 16:01:45 hysteria rpc.statd[27554]: Version 1.2.3 starting
> Mar 28 16:01:45 hysteria rpc.statd[27554]: failed to create RPC listeners, exiting

Can you please run rpc.statd with debugging: 'rpc.statd -Fd'? It might
be related to IPv6 (with portmap, switching to rpcbind would help in
that case), though the debug output should tell us for sure.

> Note: I don't use nfs on this machine. There is no reason for nfs
> statd to start on it. The /etc/default/nfs-common is unmodified from
> the default package version. AFAIK nfs-common is getting installed by
> default at system install time to handle possible use of nfs mounts in
> /etc/fstab. I haven't made any local changes to enable nfs
> subsequently. I don't have an /etc/exports file. But in the
> /etc/init.d/nfs-common file the NEED_STATD defaults to yes.

statd is also needed when you mount NFS shares to prevent locking
issues. I don't think it's a wrong default.

Cheers

Luk



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Bob Proulx
External


Since: Oct 25, 2004
Posts: 31



PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Luk Claes wrote:
> Can you please run rpc.statd with debugging: 'rpc.statd -Fd'? It might
> be related to IPv6 (with portmap, switching to rpcbind would help in
> that case), though the debug output should tell us for sure.

Here is the output:

# /sbin/rpc.statd -Fd
rpc.statd: Version 1.2.3 starting
rpc.statd: Flags: No-Daemon Log-STDERR TI-RPC
sm-notify: Version 1.2.3 starting
sm-notify: Already notifying clients; Exiting!
rpc.statd: Local NSM state number: 3
rpc.statd: Failed to open /proc/sys/fs/nfs/nsm_local_state: No such file or directory
rpc.statd: Failed to unregister program 100024, version 1
rpc.statd: Effective UID, GID: 102, 0
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp6)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp6)
rpc.statd: failed to create RPC listeners, exiting

Bob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Luk Claes
External


Since: May 04, 2005
Posts: 763



PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 03/29/2011 01:33 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
>> Can you please run rpc.statd with debugging: 'rpc.statd -Fd'? It might
>> be related to IPv6 (with portmap, switching to rpcbind would help in
>> that case), though the debug output should tell us for sure.
>
> Here is the output:
>
> # /sbin/rpc.statd -Fd
> rpc.statd: Version 1.2.3 starting
> rpc.statd: Flags: No-Daemon Log-STDERR TI-RPC
> sm-notify: Version 1.2.3 starting
> sm-notify: Already notifying clients; Exiting!
> rpc.statd: Local NSM state number: 3
> rpc.statd: Failed to open /proc/sys/fs/nfs/nsm_local_state: No such file or directory
> rpc.statd: Failed to unregister program 100024, version 1
> rpc.statd: Effective UID, GID: 102, 0
> rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp)
> rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp)
> rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp6)
> rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp6)
> rpc.statd: failed to create RPC listeners, exiting

Hmm, could you install rpcbind to see if this is portmap specific?

Cheers

Luk



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Bob Proulx
External


Since: Oct 25, 2004
Posts: 31



PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Luk Claes wrote:
> Hmm, could you install rpcbind to see if this is portmap specific?

# apt-get install rpcbind
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
portmap
The following NEW packages will be installed:
rpcbind
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
Need to get 45.6 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,096 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main rpcbind amd64 0.2.0-6 [45.6 kB]
Fetched 45.6 kB in 0s (67.5 kB/s)
dpkg: portmap: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
fam depends on portmap.
nfs-common depends on rpcbind | portmap; however:
Package rpcbind is not installed.
Package portmap is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 324405 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing portmap ...
Stopping portmap daemon....
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Selecting previously deselected package rpcbind.
(Reading database ... 324394 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking rpcbind (from .../rpcbind_0.2.0-6_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up rpcbind (0.2.0-6) ...
Starting rpcbind daemon....

# /sbin/rpc.statd -Fd
rpc.statd: Version 1.2.3 starting
rpc.statd: Flags: No-Daemon Log-STDERR TI-RPC
sm-notify: Version 1.2.3 starting
sm-notify: Already notifying clients; Exiting!
rpc.statd: Local NSM state number: 3
rpc.statd: Failed to open /proc/sys/fs/nfs/nsm_local_state: No such
file or directory
rpc.statd: Effective UID, GID: 102, 0
rpc.statd: Waiting for client connections

That seems to be working. Control-C to interrupt and then:

# service nfs-common restart
Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd idmapd.

No error.

Bob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Luk Claes
External


Since: May 04, 2005
Posts: 763



PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On 03/30/2011 08:13 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
>> Hmm, could you install rpcbind to see if this is portmap specific?

Ok, so it seems to be portmap specific. It would be nice if you could
try portmap from experimental (similar fix as rpcbind got for a related
bug) to see if that fixes it.

Cheers

Luk



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Bob Proulx
External


Since: Oct 25, 2004
Posts: 31



PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Bug#562737: closed by Luk Claes (Bug#562737: fixed in nfs-utils 1:1.2.2-5) [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Luk Claes wrote:
> Ok, so it seems to be portmap specific. It would be nice if you could
> try portmap from experimental (similar fix as rpcbind got for a related
> bug) to see if that fixes it.

Doesn't help.

# apt-get install -t experimental portmap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
rpcbind
The following NEW packages will be installed:
portmap
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 297 not upgraded.
Need to get 39.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,096 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main portmap amd64 6.0.0-5 [39.0 kB]
Fetched 39.0 kB in 0s (69.8 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: rpcbind: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
nfs-common depends on rpcbind | portmap; however:
Package rpcbind is to be removed.
Package portmap is not installed.
Package rpcbind which provides portmap is to be removed.
fam depends on portmap; however:
Package portmap is not installed.
Package rpcbind which provides portmap is to be removed.
nfs-common depends on rpcbind | portmap; however:
Package rpcbind is to be removed.
Package portmap is not installed.
Package rpcbind which provides portmap is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 324403 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing rpcbind ...
Stopping rpcbind daemon....
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Selecting previously deselected package portmap.
(Reading database ... 324396 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking portmap (from .../portmap_6.0.0-5_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up portmap (6.0.0-5) ...
Starting portmap daemon....
There are RPC services which were registered with the portmapper
before the configuration was changed.
You need to manually restart them in order for the changes to take effect.
Current registered services:
------------------------------------------------
391002 2 tcp 923 sgi_fam
------------------------------------------------

# /sbin/rpc.statd -Fd
rpc.statd: Version 1.2.3 starting
rpc.statd: Flags: No-Daemon Log-STDERR TI-RPC
sm-notify: Version 1.2.3 starting
sm-notify: Already notifying clients; Exiting!
rpc.statd: Local NSM state number: 3
rpc.statd: Failed to unregister program 100024, version 1
rpc.statd: Effective UID, GID: 102, 0
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp6)
rpc.statd: Failed to register (statd, 1, tcp6)
rpc.statd: failed to create RPC listeners, exiting

Bob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-dist-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   General Reply to Topic (not reply to a specific post)    Forums Home -> Bugs Dist All times are: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum